Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,676   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Whats wrong with this picture??

Hello all you forum geeks!I recently developed a roll of Bluefire Police film (my first in fifteen years). It was developed according to the Massive Dev App in a Paterson tank. So far so good. Eager as I was I didn't let it dry overnight in room temperature but took it down and cut it within a couple of hours. Because the film was so curly I dropped it to the floor a couple of times but that didn't seem to affect the overall result. There seem to be nothing wrong with the shadows and the mid tones, but the highlights seem to be affected of some kind of effect with unknown (to my knowledge) origin. I have faith in that the expertise hovering this forum give some answers. Is it the developer (delivered with the film), stop, fix, agitation, rinse bath or just Murphys law? Any suggestions much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_9696.jpg   DSC_9694.jpg   DSC_9697.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What is the effect that you think you're seeing? I do not see any screamingly obvious defects with the highlights...

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I didnt explain my self clear enough. The problem are the pictures with clear sky in them. The first two show the problem (looks like banding in a digital file), the third one are just an example without the sky in it. A sort of reference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    What is the effect that you think you're seeing? I do not see any screamingly obvious defects with the highlights...
    Looks like a slight agitation problem maybe. How to you do your agitation scheme?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowframe View Post
    Hello all you forum geeks!I recently developed a roll of Bluefire Police film (my first in fifteen years). It was developed according to the Massive Dev App in a Paterson tank. So far so good. Eager as I was I didn't let it dry overnight in room temperature but took it down and cut it within a couple of hours. Because the film was so curly I dropped it to the floor a couple of times but that didn't seem to affect the overall result. There seem to be nothing wrong with the shadows and the mid tones, but the highlights seem to be affected of some kind of effect with unknown (to my knowledge) origin. I have faith in that the expertise hovering this forum give some answers. Is it the developer (delivered with the film), stop, fix, agitation, rinse bath or just Murphys law? Any suggestions much appreciated

If you soak the first two negatives in water at your usual developing temperature and then fix them again for another two or three minutes, then wash them thoroughly again and finish of with a minute drop of wetting agent in the last rinse, then clip them up and hang them up to drip and dry, this time leaving them until completely dry, you might be lucky and get rid of the wavy marks in the skies of those two negatives...

RR

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If I am reading the situation correctly, the problem is most apparent in the sky of the first picture, right? Swirly effects, like marbling, and a misty effect in the foreground. My guess would be inadequate time in the fixer, so that clearing is not complete. If you look at the emulsion (dull) side of the negatives in a strong reflected light you may see a milky appearance, which would confirm it.

The common rule of thumb is actually to give the film twice the clearing time. I generally drop the cut-off film leader into the fixer to measure clearing time. So if I'm right your film is woefully under-fixed. I don't know whether it is salvageable at this stage, but in the absence of advice from better people than me, I would be inclined to try re-fixing it, followed by re-washing. You can do this in a tray in the light of course, because you have already cut the film into strips.
    Last edited by Jonathan R; 10-18-2013 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missed a bit out!

Shooter
    35mm
    Agitation was 30 sec the first minute and then 10 sec every minute. This was not according to the manufactures scheme but the app caught me by surprise:/ I just followed the on screen instructions. I never turned the tank upside down, just agitated up and down with a shake.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan R View Post
    If I am reading the situation correctly, the problem is most apparent in the sky of the first picture, right? Swirly effects, like marbling, and a misty effect in the foreground. My guess would be inadequate time in the fixer, so that clearing is not complete. If you look at the emulsion (dull) side of the negatives in a strong reflected light you may see a milky appearance, which would confirm it.

The common rule of thumb is actually to give the film twice the clearing time. I generally drop the cut-off film leader into the fixer to measure clearing time. So if I'm right your film is woefully under-fixed. I don't know whether it is salvageable at this stage, but in the absence of advice from better people than me, I would be inclined to try re-fixing it, followed by re-washing. You can do this in a tray in the light of course, because you have already cut the film into strips.
    Thank you! Seem like something I want to try. Maybe I try it one the next film I develop. Correct me if I´m wrong, but if the app says 5 min fixing, I use 10 min?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agitation was 30 sec the first minute and then 10 sec every minute. This was not according to the manufactures scheme but the app caught me by surprise:/ I just followed the on screen instructions. I never turned the tank upside down, just agitated up and down with a shake.
    That sounds like it should be just fine to me, but I've never used the film/developer combo before so maybe it's not. If it is a fix problem and the film base looks dull or milky then you might try to re-fix the film again.

Shooter
    35mm
    This was much more adequate advice than I dared hoping for. For the next film I will agitate more thoroughly, maybe 5 sec every 30 sec and fix it for 10 min or in a two bath fixer. Hopefully this will create the full range greyscale I was hoping for. I will also let it hang overnight to dry. Does anyone no if there is any point in weighing the film down, to counteract the curling? It was PITA to to get it in to the film holders?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin