Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,571   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I had assumed the "two critics" were joking
    Bingo.

I threw out the method in hurt link because it is a convoluted method to get color from B&W photos. Although iit is interesting and may be fun to try.

Shooter
    35mm
    jp498. Actually this grown-up and quite old kid is interested and one day his grand-kids might want a go. Given that kids might need be inclined to go beyond the area to be coloured by mistake, I presume that it is then just a matter of swabbing the colour off the print with a paper towel or cotton bud before it dries?

How quickly does the coloured area dry? They might want to take it home to Mum and Dad but its a question of how long the print has to sit until it is dry

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you get plenty of time for it to dry. Probably England or Maine or Seattle you get hours unless a hair dryer is used. Probably dries within an hour in Arizona. Plenty of time to clean up mistakes or change your mind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hand coloured Black & White prints go back to the start of photography, and were extremely popular for portraits.

I have many personal hand coloured photographs of my relations and they are all in excellent condition including 2 on emulsion coated porcelain from the 1890's.

When I worked for a photographic company in the late 70's we had one lady who could still do this with air brushes and she was truly an 'artist'.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been hand coloring for decades. It gives you an option for more creativity, allows emphasis on certain portions of an image, and makes each photo unique. It's also something that you can do in short blocks of time, so you can do something photographic when you don't have time to get in the darkroom. Most importantly, it's a lot of fun...
    I have a bunch of examples in the Gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth looking at the quite different European approach to hand colouring which is/was more typically carried out using toners and retouching dyes in recent years. Probably the best exponent of this technique was the late Bob Carlos Clarke, he evolved his techniques while at the Royal College of Art, early publications were The Illustrated delta of Venus and Obsessions, but his best work was in the book "Dark Summer".

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Handcoloring with dyes is a very flexible toolbox. Unfortunately, there isn't much how-to information available for the technique. In a past life, I had to teach myself most of the techniques. I was lucky to have worked for a year as a photo retoucher for a major studio in Dallas, TX. As mentioned earlier, some of the retouchers (almost all women) were artists beyond belief with a working lifetime of experience. I just got as far as dust spots and acne removal . Anyway, many years ago, I worked up a bit of info for my personal website. I hope that it might be helpful for someone here thinking about taking up handcoloring. http://dwrphotos.com/Support/About.Art.htm
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was my take on hand colouring, I gave some lecturers on the subject and general retouching a few years ago.

Like Denise I had to teach myself but we used to do a lot of photo-montage and retouching for work so it was something I did on an almost daily basis for over a decade.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ... including 2 on emulsion coated porcelain from the 1890's ...
    Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited
    Hi Simon,
    I'm curious what these look like. Any chance you good post an image of these?
    Thanks,
    Bert
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My grandfather was into photography, and had developed and printed before my parents were born. We have some old hand-colored prints he did. I don't have that artistic skill, but my best friend does. I've asked if she'd be interesting in trying it, so that may be in the future. First I have to show her what little I remember about B&W printing.
    Truzi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin