Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,694   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Coloring B&W photos

It's not high class art, but it's fun. These are scrap / reject contact prints the younger ones are enjoying. One can actually mix quite a few colors into a big drop of water to get things pretty close with $0.99 paints.

Matte RC paper was used here. The water dries and the paint sticks to the gelatin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1385690_10201628651545450_1940599156_n.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	75705

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blasphemy!! ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Blasphemy!! ;-)
    Exactly. If your going to make color images from b&w do it the right way and use this method. http://content.photojojo.com/diy/mak...-white-photos/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have done this years ago and it is fun.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, you can get beautifully unique results doing this. Don't let the stick in the muds discourage you. Creativity is boundless, and the more you go your own way, the better off your results. There are no rules, that's the only rule :} When I hear these tisk tisks, I always picture some miserable old grouch of a teacher (who should have been retired ages ago) hunched over their students papers, furiously lining through their hard work w/ a red pencil and muttering "no, this is NOT RIGHT". Bull.

You can get nice, soft results using oil paints and a very soft brush, then blend w/ q-tips. Be careful not to abuse the emulsion. Use minimal to no solvent, as it will do just that....dissolve and discolor the photo over time. This is the sort of thing where less is more, so use a limited palette and soft colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've played with this and it is quite fun. The results can be really nice too.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I really enjoy hand colouring, and some of the effects have garnered serious compliments. Lighten up, folks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had assumed the "two critics" were joking by the trick of overstating their shock. One has a smilie attached but I don't know which one it is.

I presume that the OP's method was designed for the younger members. If that is a picture of a younger member's hand and the prints that are coloured are the result then I'd say well done.

I presume that the paint is mixed to one colour which is selectively applied otherwise it becomes a toning exercise for the whole print. Actually the latter is no bad way to get kids started at quite a young age.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While its not everyone's taste in art check out the work of Holly Roberts. A mixture of photography and painting.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did note the smiley face, and do understand there has been discord between photography and painting since the early days of photography. I'm apt to get non-smiley blasphemy for using RC paper.

I've known of some other artists who have done this VERY well. It's been done well in some pre-color-photography times. I've done it myself with proper photo coloring materials.

Pictured is a kids activity. It's a good way to show kids how to make the colors and tints they want with a limited choice of paint, a brush and a cup of water. Helping them, I can mix on the photo some water, yellow, and orange to make a pseudo-skin tone, or some different solid colors together for a brownish hair. It's liberating to focus on colors and tints without having to think about how to draw/paint objects, etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin