Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,868   Posts: 1,583,288   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I DID IT!

Shooter
    35mm

I DID IT!

I developed film for the first time ever yesterday! Like magic. I took a private class from the man I am going to take some printing classes (Palladium/Platinum) and orientation to his darkroom and process.
    It was so much fun. I am also taking a class at the local University so I will be developing film at least weekly for the next 6 weeks.
    Here is the one picture we printed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stOne.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	75832

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Congrats! Those first prints are just amazing and the magic doesn't fade (at least for me), it's still fantastic to this day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    don't forget to KEEP HAVING FUN !

beautiful print btw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me it is a lota fun to develop and print,

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Honeymoon over: too low in contrast, not enough care with composition, too much misalignment...

Now, don't you even entertain the fantasy of leaving this genre. We need you. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pretty neat, huh? My first time was when I was in the hall without a hall pass in 1971 with a negative I brought in a book, and I slipped into the school darkroom. I knew nothing of what I was doing.
    Now go take a picture with a digital camera, import it into the computer, and send it to the inkjet. Ho-hum, big stinking deal. No thrill at all, is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an admirable first step. And an important one.

The single greatest difficulty in trying something new is to take that very first step. The mental threshold to be crossed is always huge. Before taking that first step your choice of direction, and hence your chances for failure, are nearly infinite.

But once successfully taken, you now have a finite direction to travel. And something tangible to evaluate for any possible adjustments to that direction. And an idea of the effort required to travel in that direction. As well as a confirmation that it wasn't really as hard as you might have feared.

Nicely done. Your over the initial threshold and on your way...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep on enjoying the process, so much more organic than digital. Also you will also have the pleasure of everyone always saying..."What, you are still using film?!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bravo! It is a great feeling, isn't it---the hands-on "whoa, I actually *did* that" moment when you pull out the film and you can see something on it? And as others have said, it doesn't really wear thin. Congrats!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great job. The first time developing film or watching a print develop is always great - and it gets better. Keep with it, and remember to keep it fun.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin