Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,837   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using plastic reels for 40 years, both 35 and 120, and have had no serious problems. Absolutely no development problems. Occasionally I will have trouble getting a roll onto the reel. About 15 years ago, it took about an hour to get a 120 roll on. I think it finally depended on me cursing a blue streak. But it developed fine. When I do have trouble getting a roll onto a reel, I put the roll completely out and start again; I don't force anything.

And I have a few reels that apparently aren't stable enough for 120 film, so I only use those for 35. I never had a reason to use SS, and I still don't.

For those who love SS, I have a few reels available for sale. Selling for a friend that gave up on film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I threw that clip back into fixer and wow, there's some detail left in that frame on the left! Washed and is drying right now
    Thanks
    I literally had thrown this in the trash and dug it back out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I recently switched to stainless and am still having trouble loading 35mm. However, I would never go back to plastic for 120.
    I've used both for years.

I can load both 120 and 35mm using either type, with one caveat - I cannot for the life of me make the clips on 120 stainless reels work with 120 film.

So if I am content using gentle, inversion agitation and a single reel tank, 120 works fine with stainless.

And I slightly prefer stainless with 35mm film, although I like best the no name reels with just a "C" wire in the centre.

But with 120, if I want to develop more than one roll or, in particular, use continuous rotary agitation for stop, fixer and HCA steps (which I usually do), then I need to use plastic reels - in my case the AP/Arista/Samigon reels with the wider flanges.

The problem? - the 120 film tends to walk itself out of the stainless reel if it isn't clipped and you rotate the tank and reel.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin