Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,005   Online: 763

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is, although it's less noticeable under glass. There is a difference in print longevity, though. The extra time in producing a fiber print will ensure that it lasts. In the grand scheme of things, the extra effort involved in making fiber prints isn't that much, when considering the print's lifespan. For me, the few minutes saved, using RC paper, isn't worth the potential loss of image quality over the decades to come.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I think there is, although it's less noticeable under glass. There is a difference in print longevity, though. The extra time in producing a fiber print will ensure that it lasts. In the grand scheme of things, the extra effort involved in making fiber prints isn't that much, when considering the print's lifespan. For me, the few minutes saved, using RC paper, isn't worth the potential loss of image quality over the decades to come.
    Interesting, I'll give FB a try after I run out of RC this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the subject of longevity....

Fibre based papers have the history that proves their potential longevity, whereas modern, quality RC papers are the subject of projections that assert they will be long lasting.

There are adverse conditions that RC may withstand better than fibre based paper.

In either case, if you properly process and finish and store/present your prints, they will last for a long time.

I print RC almost exclusively. I like the results I obtain. If I had a dedicated darkroom and a reasonable amount of space, I would use both.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went to a gallery showing today and they had a number of prints of musicians from all different time periods. They were all framed and the process labeled. They were all large prints, over 20 inches, and I really didn't notice a difference from RC or FB paper. There were RC portraits from the 1970's that were side by side to FB and "archival pigment transfer prints" which I think were modern inkjet prints. I didn't see any noticeable difference or degradation of the RC paper, and that was old paper from the 70's. It was labeled as RC, but that was the only visible difference, at least to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    also, RC PAPERS ARE MORE FORGIVING to processing mistakes such as under washing than FB papers.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm a seasoned FB printer but appreciate RC's ease of use and nice flat laying qualities and feel. Nice for small prints, 8x10 and 5x7. Larger prints look and feel better on FB. But I've been intrigued by Portfolio RC for sometime and may have to try it out. It may change me over to RC for most of my work, as my time of late is much more limited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin