Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone use double weight RC paper?

Ilford offers a double weight RC paper that looks interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this paper? I've been getting good results with RC paper and am mulling over a switch to fiber paper but don't know if it's worth the extra cost and effort. Is double weight RC paper a viable alternative, or is there no substitute for fiber paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford Portfolio is my preferred RC paper, but it's even dearer that their FB paper. I have no experience with the new version of this paper which was released two years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford Postcard paper is on the double weight Portfolio stock. If you join in the APUG Postcard exchanges you will get to see how it holds up to the rigours of the postal system.

The heavier paper is nice to work with, and more durable if the prints are going to be handles a lot. Otherwise, the regular Ilford RC paper is of similar, very high quality.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    The double weight RC paper is almost the same price as FB paper so there is no competition really except it takes a lot less washing afterwards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That sounds good, I think I'll give it a try.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you intent to sell your prints,there is no substitude to FBpaper.has to do with perceived valueand your reputation as a printer.it's worth the extra money and effort.you cannot advertise 'archival'quality otherwise.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    if you intent to sell your prints,there is no substitude to FBpaper.has to do with perceived valueand your reputation as a printer.it's worth the extra money and effort.you cannot advertise 'archival'quality otherwise.
    I've thought about this and doing some research I found that most people don't know anything about paper and are more interested in the photo than the process. Even some people who claim to be photographers know pretty much nothing about paper. Only collectors will note things like paper type, and being an almost unknown I am well out of their area of interest. I think I will still switch to FB paper eventually, but I feel the extra effort will be lost on most.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you believe the proselytizing ad nauseum in this ponderous video, regarding the archival nature of platinum prints, I would say fiber gets you a lot closer to archival, whatever that is, than RC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    I think I will still switch to FB paper eventually, but I feel the extra effort will be lost on most.
    It may be lost on most, but shouldn't be lost on you. The creation of the photo has to please you, and your requirements. If you're intent is to produce the finest image your eye/ability allows, fiber is the only choice. I don't see the use of fiber as "extra effort". I see the use of RC (with the exception of proof sheets) as a lack of proper effort, shortchanging the image's potential. If an image is worth printing, it's worth printing on fiber.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    It may be lost on most, but shouldn't be lost on you. The creation of the photo has to please you, and your requirements. If you're intent is to produce the finest image your eye/ability allows, fiber is the only choice. I don't see the use of fiber as "extra effort". I see the use of RC (with the exception of proof sheets) as a lack of proper effort, shortchanging the image's potential. If an image is worth printing, it's worth printing on fiber.
    Is there a difference in the actual image? I've never used FB paper before, but I thought the main differences were in how they felt. If the image quality is better I will be switching as soon as I can. My prints are all framed though, I feel it's important to the presentation. So if no one can tell the difference without holding it in their hands would it still be worthwhile to use FB paper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin