Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,272   Online: 776

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sodium hydroxide - mixing?

Hopefully an easy question for you all here;

Mixing 100g of sodium hydroxide into 1000ml of water - when all the powder is added, should the mix be clear or cloudy?

Thanks in advance.
    Sim2.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    Hopefully an easy question for you all here;

Mixing 100g of sodium hydroxide into 1000ml of water - when all the powder is added, should the mix be clear or cloudy?

Thanks in advance.
    Sim2.
    That amount of sodium hydroxide can easely be solubilized in 1000 ml water, the result will be a clear solution. Most likely your NaOH is small pellets, not powder. When mixing the solution warms up quite a bit, be careful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, I thought/expected it should be a clear solution - guess what, mine's not! It's rather cloudy with an amount that "settles" in the bottle. I added the powder/pellets slowly & yes, it did heat up but had the bottle in a tempering bath of cool water - could this have affected the mix? Been over a day since mixing & still cloudy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are you sure it's sodium hydroxide that you have? The pellets are like tiny buttons.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    lol, I hope so! Not like tiny buttons at all. I would describe it as a granular powder - not fine like flour but not as granular as sugar, not a brilliant description but... First time mixing, so expectations were nil! I used the solution in a sepia tone set-up and seemed to work i.e. got the colour change but residue on the prints. ftw the chems were supplied by silverprint inlondon, so should be correct. Any further thoughts? Thanks for assistance so far!

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    Is this tap water? I recall Wiltshire water is very hard - that is has Calcium and Magnesium ions in it. Adding NaOH will precipitate the Calcium and Magnesium as the insoluble hydroxides - Milk of magnesia is magnesium hydroxide - calcium hydroxide is slaked lime - both turn water milky. You could try filtering it but the hydroxide particles are really small.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, it was using tap water, filtered for particles but not for element extraction. Thanks for the thoughts. Guess I will try to filter the "cloudyness". Shame I didn't have any left over that I could mix with distilled water or another alternative, just to see the difference. Ho hum, next time perhaps.
    Ain't chemistry fun :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    Shame I didn't have any left over that I could mix with distilled water
    Save yourself some money and get a tub of sodium hydroxide from Boots or a traditional hardware store - You'll probably need to ask for Caustic Soda...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    *big grin* off to Boots tomorrow! Thanks for the suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just check on the container for the weight for volume as some times the hardware store versions are packed with fillers. I purchased one tub that was only 48% [didn't look] and was not successful in the formula I was mixing.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin