Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,435   Online: 903

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Whats the longest time that you took on a single print to get perfect?

hey guys,

Whats the longest time that you took on a single print to get perfect? Last weekend I was in the darkroom for two hours and still didn't get a perfect print, however I wrote down all the data I needed to tackle it next weekend for perfect print.

Todd

Like you, the prints that took the most time are the ones that required more than one session. The first session makes you familiar with the image and its problems, the second hopefully produces the print you envision. I found that by time the first sessions prints dried, they revealed the errors of my ways and pointed toward the solutions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats exactly what happened to me. The only thing was I smoked a piece of Ilford MGWT 16x20 paper, Ouch!

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two hours is nothing. If it's a really tricky one, I often split it into several sessions. I'll take it to a certain level of refinement, then make a few variations, and stop, wash/dry them and come back to them with fresh eyes. In fact I often do this even with relatively simple prints because I inevitably end up with a more satisfying result than when I try to get it from zero to finality in one session. If the print involves complicated manipulations it can take several sessions. I know many people disagree with this approach, but I also know others who do it this way, and it works well for me, particularly with my subject matter.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never made a perfect print. But I don't think spending a couple of hours on a fine art print, is too much, as long as you know your tools and what you're doing, and still sane. For better decision making, come back to the print the next day, if necessary. All that legendary myth you may have heard about working through the night on perfecting a print is IMO, so much hyperbolic hooey, evidence of poor exposure or lab technique, or OCD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe a couple of days.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yhea.. 2 hours to start with. I think I'm in for a few more hours to get the desired look I want. I'm looking forward to it.

ToddB

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe a few hours. But it takes as long as it takes.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I recently spent two whole Saturdays, most of that time on just one negative, trying to get any good print. It turns out I was mixing up the solutions in the Palladium chemistry so that I was using no restrainer in my ferric oxalate while trying to print negatives that require a lot of it. I corrected the problem, but I still wouldn't say I have made a perfect print of any of it, but I've made some decent prints since I got back to only using the solution with restrainer in it. I"m terrible at keeping records, but I'm not sure good record keeping would have kept me from mixing up bottles #1 and #2.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My suggestion is to make "work" prints for those special images. For example an overall general print to confirm the composition and starting point of exposure. Then a print to establish the highlights and then one for shadows and contrast. The next session you can put it all together.
    Of course there are those negatives that almost print themselves...too bad they all can't be that way.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin