Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,851   Online: 899

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a paper developer, phenidone/vitC/Borax

Years ago I saw a formula, here in Apug I think, of a paper developer using phenidone, vitC and borax, without carbonate, but I'm not able to find it now, neither here or elsewhere, probably from Gainer, but not sure.

Does anyone knows about it?

The matter is that I've run out of some raw chemicals, mainly MQ and Carbonate, have some prints to do and restocking isn't possible in a few days, so I'm looking for a decent emergency replacement. Tried E72 but without carbonate blacks are weak.

Thanks in advance.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A paper developer that uses only borax as the activator will not produce useful blacks. You need something capable of producing a higher pH like carbonate or metaborate. This explains why you cannot find a formula.

You can buy washing soda (sodium carbonate, monohydrate) in the laundry section of many markets. You can also make sodium carbonate by heating sodium bicarbonate. Search the APUG archives for details.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-23-2013 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have metaborate too, in fact used it as substitute on E72 with the multiplier stated in the Darkroom Cookbook but results were so-so, using 10% NaOH to rise the ph [ as E6 corrections ] didn't help much, not noticeable increase in activity :-/

The only reason to state borax was a faint memory, so I could be wrong.

Thanks for the response!
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal or HC-110 make decent paper devs, if you have those available. Try them at 1+10 or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would wait un til I get the right materials, other wise you may waste more time and effortthan you'd like.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin