Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,388   Online: 812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    With pyro, an alkaline fixer is advantageous. Acid fixers can reduce the level of stain.

I use TF-4 for both paper and film usually, but separate batches. Since I can buy TF-4 locally, there is no advantage to mixing my own (I've priced it out). If you have to have TF-4 shipped, however, it may be advantageous to mix your own or at least to use a fixer available as a dry powder. Fine Art Photo Supply sells an alkaline fixer available as a powder.

When I was using acid fixer, I liked Zonal Pro Rapid Fixer. It was fast and convenient. I still have some on hand, so I use it occasionally, when I don't need an alkaline fixer (like for film developed in Acufine or large batches of RC prints).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a lot of extensive testing and data on fixers and washing in David Vestal's darkroom book. It is from the 1980s, but might still be of interest if you are interested in using an acid fix and a wash aid. He also tests "rapid-fix" (Edwal I think)

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use TF-4 Archival rapid fixer for both film and paper. 1+3 mix. Requires no stop bath. 30 sec on RC and 60 sec on FB. 3 - 4 min for film.

Check out photoformulary.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fixing paper at film strength

I don't have the literature readily available, but Ilford has supported fixing paper in film strength rapid fixer as an archival method. It works just fine, and means that since it's in the fixer for a much shorter time, paper will absorb less fixer which in turn makes it easier to wash.

I use the alkaline fixer sold at www.fineartphotosupply.com (no affiliation) for both film and paper, and it works fine for me. It's really cheap too.

- Thom

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Thanks Morten.

I am still wondering about dilution. though.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin