Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,511   Posts: 1,543,570   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Can some one explain fixers to me?

My clayton's is about out and I am in the market for a fixer. I used to just buy the stuff off the shelf but thought I would look for something to mix myself. Might be cheaper, might not we'll see. I did a search and could not really find the answer I was looking for

What is the difference between alkalai and acid fix aside from the PH and one is alkalai and the other acid? I am looking for performance differences.

I am looking for a dual purpose fix that can be used for paper and film. I looked at the recipe section but none of them said if you mixed a working solution or if it was a stock solution that you diluted.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    My clayton's is about out and I am in the market for a fixer. I used to just buy the stuff off the shelf but thought I would look for something to mix myself. Might be cheaper, might not we'll see. I did a search and could not really find the answer I was looking for

What is the difference between alkalai and acid fix aside from the PH and one is alkalai and the other acid? I am looking for performance differences.

I am looking for a dual purpose fix that can be used for paper and film. I looked at the recipe section but none of them said if you mixed a working solution or if it was a stock solution that you diluted.
    I asked a similar question a while ago. I am in need of a universal fixer, too.

My thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/11954-i-need-universal-fixer.html

Images
    Thanks Morten.

I am still wondering about dilution. though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dilution is going to depend on the formula. I use TF-2 stock for both film and paper. So my stock is my working solution. No dilution.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Thanks Morten.

I am still wondering about dilution. though.
    Me, too. I haven't got into making TF-2,3 or 4 yet.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just adding a note that - the dilution is up to you.

Depending on what I'm doing, and for how long I plan to do it, and how long it's going to be before I get back in the darkroom again, I hase OF-1 at anything from full strength to 1+3. Diluted lasts longer, but works slower. Full strength works faster, but with lower capacity. But if I'm printing today and not for two-three weeks, I'll use it full strength. If I have a lot of prints to do, I'll use a full strength first fix and a 1+3 second fix.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use TF-4 at the 1:3 dilution for both film and paper. Although, I don't use the same solution for both.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa ' Universal ' is a great fixer; Use it with stronger dilutions for films than papers.It come as a liquid, I have had good economy from this over many years. They also market 'Agefix' but it is a little dearer here in Australia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a subtlty to this question that eludes me, or is something like "Use Ilford Rapid Fixer" a viable answer? I use it; 1:4 for film, 1:9 for paper... it lasts forever.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Images
    No subtlety. I was just wondering about mixing my own, and the differences between and acid and an alkaine fix. Nothing wrong with Ilford rapid fix. I've been using Clayton's no stink and something called NU-fix.

everyone,
    What would you use with a pyro developer? Acid or Alkali

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin