Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mortensen investigated

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Mo...mortensen.html

If lighting is flat, portraits (of light-haired people?) can be underexposed and push processed to give greater contrast between different parts of the skin.
    I tried it with a modern film, the flat curve Fuji Acros, developed in Fomadon Excel (similar to Xtol, just happened to have this).
    2 studio lights close to the photographer were used. Exposure was incident light on the model via a reliable flash meter.
    (1) Normally exposed and developed.
    (2) Underexposed 1 stop, developed 40% longer.
    (3) Underexposed 1 stop, developed 40 minutes, agitated every 10 min -this is complete development, called gamma infinity.
    Attachments are inverted negative scans, black/white points set, sharpened equally, resized, no other changes.

I wonder if there are any comments on underexposing and overdeveloping portraits, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Acros normal-1.jpg   Acros underexposed 1 stop pushed 40%.jpg   Acros underexposed 1 stop pushed gamma infinity.jpg  

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe your second image is best and comes closest to what Mortensen would have done minus the retouche, the third has maybe too much contrast for his liking

Have you also tried his extreme compensating development 24h in the fridge with some agitation every few hours? Btw X-tol is a much more active developer than Mortensen adviced. Also take a look at Mortensen American Girl (http://www.thescreamonline.com/photo...ricangirl.html) which pretty much epitomized Mortensen approach. Mortensen was also the meter for the highlights and develop for the shadows type. What light did you use Mortensen prefered soft contrast and diffused light. What is often forgotten is that Mortensen developed a system just like the Zone system it started with previsualization followed by complete control of the lighting conditions and development. I also advice you to get a copy of Mortensen's Pictorial lighting

Nice work

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is well described in Fred Archer's book on portraiture, although he makes a distinction between Minimum exposure and extra development and Under exposure and over development.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    good work.Ialso recommend his book on composition'the command to look' Mortensen wAS AHEAD OF HIS TIMe and overlookedv by his peers. he favored unorthodox approaches but delivered great images!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I prefer the first. On the second, there's too much contrast on the left between her hair and the shadow of her neck, and the third is even moreso.
    I presume that's what you were trying to achieve, but that's my personal taste, I don't like it too contrasty...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi alan

i don't have experience doing what you are doing
    but i do have a recipe for mortensen's glycin varient:

mortensen's glycin variant film developer for use with his '7-D' approach:

water 750 ml
    sodium sulfite 19 g
    Glycin 4 g
    sodium carbonate 19 g
    water to make 1000 ml

soft working fine grain developer ( for gamma infinity - about 2 hours or so for any film. )

YMMV

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "if lighting is flat..."

mortensen advocated flat lighting. it was a condition for his photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    perhaps using an old school film with a metol 2gr, borax 2gr, sod.sulfite 70gr / litre developer may approach something closer to mortensen's desired results.

I have the book "Mortensen on the Negative" but it was written over 70 years ago and I cannot find much clue as to the characteristic curves of his films.
    I am guessing that flat or upswept would be better than S shaped for giving good highlight separation,for 35 mm Delta 100, 100 T-max or Acros would give the finest grain and have flat curves.
    I did not find much difference in grain between normal and gamma infinity development in my first test, it seems to be OK to use the Mortensen gamma infinity method with these films.It is a method that went out of fashion in the 50's and not much is known about results from modern film/developers when development is to finality, but fine grain would be nice for portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work!

It actually shows how I shoot and develop film in flat lighting conditions, but in a much less precise and more 'flying by the seat of my pants' kind of way.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin