Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,598   Online: 870

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many ISO'S?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO the best solution is BW400CN or XP2. Since these are black & white films that are developed in color chemistry you can get away with quite a range of lattitude in the same developer and time.

For myself I work mostly with two black and white films in 35mm. TMX100 from ISO64 to ISO200 and Delta 3200 from ISO800 to ISO6400. While that does simplify my film stocking unfortunately it doesn't help you much. I still develop at different times depending on the ISO I used, particularly with Delta 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams advice was to completely master one film before using a second. Doing so would solve your problem. Personally I have found no real reason to use anymore than two films, a fast one and a slow one.

Using a divided developer like Diafine is another way to solve your problem.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-01-2013 at 12:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    IMHO the best solution is BW400CN or XP2. Since these are black & white films that are developed in color chemistry you can get away with quite a range of lattitude in the same developer and time.
    But XP2 or BW400CN is not a good option for darkroom printing. I tried it couple of times, it is possible, but not a good idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    universal developers can be helpful too ...
    Prescysol has the same development time for any film.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First,speaking of simplicity, I would stick with 1 camera, maybe two (1 rangefinder + 1 SLR). Then, I would use 2 films and 1 developer. This is what I try to do with Diafine and Arista Premium 100 and 400 which gives me a 100-1000 ISO range.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Prescysol has the same development time for any film.

Steve.
    Precysol is a clone of Sandy King's Pyrocat formula, which makes it a very fine developer.
    With Pyrocat-HD I remember using a developing time of 13 minutes for all films, except Foma, which required about 20-30% less developing time for some odd reason. Maybe this is an exception?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Precysol is a clone of Sandy King's Pyrocat formula, which makes it a very fine developer.
    With Pyrocat-HD I remember using a developing time of 13 minutes for all films, except Foma, which required about 20-30% less developing time for some odd reason. Maybe this is an exception?
    With Prescysol, the time isn't really a variable. I once took a phone call from someone I hadn't spoken to for thirty years whilst developing a film. The film was in the developer for at least half an hour but didn't look any different to films developed for the normal 10.5 minutes.

If I remember correctly, the ratios of part A and part B can be varied to change its characteristics but time, as long as it has enough, makes no difference.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 11-01-2013 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    I would really like to simplify life, and photography's a big part of my life.
    I use 7 cameras
    Before we even get onto film and development, if you really want to simplify life, stick to one or two cameras, then we can discuss the other factors for simplification.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's recommendations for developing T-Max 100 and T-Max 400 (TMY2) in HC110 are essentially identical for "box" speed.

And they provide a good guide for using T-Max 400 at EIs of 1600 and 3200.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    But XP2 or BW400CN is not a good option for darkroom printing. I tried it couple of times, it is possible, but not a good idea.
    BW400CN has an orange mask, similar to a colour-negative C41 film - this makes it awkward to print on standard black -and-white paper.

XP2 does not have this mask and prints beautifully in my experience. What exactly do you find a problem with XP2 ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin