Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,225   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyro advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pyro advice

I'm considering trying some form of Pyro to develop 35mm & 120 film. I generally use ACROS, FP4+, FP5, TriX, AristaEdu 100,200 & 400. I no longer have a darkroom, so limited to scanning, if that makes any difference. Any input on which Pyro to use? I will probably order Formulary from Freestyle. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pyrocat-HD seems to be about the easiest to use and very popular. Check out the website for it.
    http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/index.html
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm a big fan of Pyrocat-HD. If you aren't going to use it all reasonably quickly (or don't know how long it's going to take you to use it), order the Photographers' Formulary version in Glycol. If you are going to burn through the entire bottle tout suite, then get whoever's version is cheapest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Pyrocat HD., although PMK has many users. I never had good luck with PMK, but my experience is limited.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PMK is fine, but it has a propensity to build general stain and not just proportionate to silver density, so it acts like base fog and extends exposure times when printing. It also has a tendency to be a speed-reducing developer, so you will probably find that negatives 1-2 stops overexposed relative to what you give when using a more traditional developer will give better results, particularly with regard to shadow detail.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    I'm considering trying some form of Pyro to develop 35mm & 120 film. I generally use ACROS, FP4+, FP5, TriX, AristaEdu 100,200 & 400. I no longer have a darkroom, so limited to scanning, if that makes any difference. Any input on which Pyro to use? I will probably order Formulary from Freestyle. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gerry
    510-PYRO is fantastic, I've used it with FP4 Plus, HP5 Plus, ACROS, CHS25 ART, Fomapan 100, Fomapan 200, Pan F Plus and found it to be very reliable. It lasts for donkey's years and you dilute it between 1:100 and 1:500. It is superb for tonal range and is one of the best compensating developers too. It costs peanuts. Here's a link to a review: http://www.pictorialplanet.com/advan.../510_pyro.html

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I could still get the 510 Pyro kit. I've had bad luck trying to mix my own. I loved that stuff.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Check out Sandy Kings website (which I happened to develop ) http://sandykingphotography.com for tons of info on PyroCat-HD. The Formulary is my preferred vendor for chemicals as well.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I wish I could still get the 510 Pyro kit. I've had bad luck trying to mix my own. I loved that stuff.
    I didn't know about a kit. I just bought the ingredients. To heat up the TEA I stand a Pyrex graduated jug, with the TEA in it, in a saucepan of boiling water on the stove top. Bring it up to 64 deg. C and put in the chemicals in the order listed. Stir it until all is dissolved then add and stir in more TEA until the volume is made up to the required level. I usually make 200ml and share it with my best friend. We seem to use it up at the same rate.

Another brilliant "PYRO" developer uses Pyrocatechin. It is even cheaper than 510-PYRO. It consists of two stock solutions and is used 1:500 up to 1:1000. It goes a very long way. It's called OBSIDIAN AQUA and was invented by the same man who invented 510-PYRO, Jay DeFehr. It is very sharp, yet still produces fine grain and a full tonal range. I like it for sheet film best but have used it for 120 roll film with pleasing results. I think the tonal range of 510-PYRO is better though, just...

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for your input. I will probably be giving Pyrocat-HD a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin