Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,459   Online: 826

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the Nikor SS reels/tanks? I heard they work pretty good although I never used one myself.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    How about the Nikor SS reels/tanks? I heard they work pretty good although I never used one myself.
    First the OP said CURRENTLY PRODUCED and second those are VERY hard to come by, still haven't found one, and they are super expensive...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for responses!

I don't mind out of production, as long as it's relatively easy to obtain.

Also, Gentile agitation made me laugh very much - but I'm Anglican, so works for me.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The current version of the Mod54 doesn't have the problems of the earlier ones. I'm not particularly gentle with my agitation and I've never had any film come loose. I've even processed Rollei IR400, which is really thin, in it and had no processing problems.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    Thanks for responses!

I don't mind out of production, as long as it's relatively easy to obtain.

Also, Gentile agitation made me laugh very much - but I'm Anglican, so works for me.
    Go for the MOD54 and paterson tank, no more leaking developer, and no more uneven development. All the images I have posted shot on 4x5 were done in the MOD54 except I think the pipe smoker image.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just remembered one processing problem I had with the Mod 54, but it wasn't the reel's fault. The Paterson tank isn't perfectly light tight, so it can have light leaks if you don't have the lid on. It can handle subdued light with the lid off. I use the safelight any time I have the lid off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl A View Post
    Not sure if you're joking about the safe light, because you can't use one with any panchromatic films, only orthochromatic. All you need to tray process is a few trays and a completely dark place, probably the same place you load the film holders. In my case, that is my bathroom.
    That's not quite true. You can use a very dim green (not brown) safelight, briefly, after half way through development. The film is less sensitive due to being partially developed, and green happens to the color your eyes are most sensitive to so it can be bright enough (barely) to be of some use without fogging the film. Many people develop sheet film by inspection this way. Plenty of books give instructions.

It takes some practice to make useful judgements of density with the very dim light and film that hasn't been cleared in the fixer, but some people find it useful.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    I just remembered one processing problem I had with the Mod 54, but it wasn't the reel's fault. The Paterson tank isn't perfectly light tight, so it can have light leaks if you don't have the lid on. It can handle subdued light with the lid off. I use the safelight any time I have the lid off.
    you must have had a really defective model... I once took mine into the bright sunlight just to test it, lid off, and had no fogging issues at all .... are you sure you've snapped the thing in correctly? you need to turn and lock the lid...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    Which version of the Paterson tanks are you using?

I use the current Paterson Super System 4 tanks and regularly load them one night and actually develop the film a day or two later.

I have had one tank, however, where the red ring that is integral to the locking of the lid (not the cap) was loose at a couple of points. A small amount of strategically placed adhesive re-attached that red ring.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about BTZS tubes or drums? I've seen some home-made tube/drum systems made from PVC pipe and screw-on endcaps.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin