Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,421   Online: 918

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Better than FR tank for 4x5 that isn't discontinued?

I have been disheartened lately. I have been shooting more and more 4x5 but this damned FR tank has been giving me poor and more poor results, sometimes even complete failure. At least in the past I could get something out of it.
    Now, when I search for a replacement tank, or something I might use it seems everything has been discontinued? I'm no stranger to internet sites (auction or other), but the more I look the more frustrated I become.

I want to continue to shoot 4x5, but I don't want to have to send it off because development options are no longer available. I have rare use of a darkroom, so a daylight safe option would be best. I can load in complete darkness at home, no problem.

At this point I am considering waiting until 10pm, throwing a brown safe light in my desklamp and tray developing on my bedroom dresser! At least then I KNOW I'll get something, anything! I've never tray developed sheet film but I've been reading more and more about it. Perhaps it is the way to go.

Thanks.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am about to try the "taco method" for developing 4x5, but not tried it yet. You could try a Yankee tank? I've not tried these things, but just some ideas to research.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find the Combi Plan tank very easy to use, but I believe they have been discontinued. You may get one at a reasonable price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes the FR leaks, but try 6 at the time instead of 12, so you skip every other slot. Works better.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    MOD54 and Paterson tank is really the only IN PRODUCTION item.

Takes 6 sheets, it's not hard to use, you DO have to use VERY gentile agitation.

There are two complaints.

Sheets dislodge

Sheet finger contact points leave scratches.

With GENTLE agitation / inversion neither of those happen.

MOD54 Large Format Film Processor

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906271-REG
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 11-10-2013 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixed typo
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    I have been disheartened lately. I have been shooting more and more 4x5 but this damned FR tank has been giving me poor and more poor results, sometimes even complete failure. At least in the past I could get something out of it.
    Now, when I search for a replacement tank, or something I might use it seems everything has been discontinued? I'm no stranger to internet sites (auction or other), but the more I look the more frustrated I become.

I want to continue to shoot 4x5, but I don't want to have to send it off because development options are no longer available. I have rare use of a darkroom, so a daylight safe option would be best. I can load in complete darkness at home, no problem.

At this point I am considering waiting until 10pm, throwing a brown safe light in my desklamp and tray developing on my bedroom dresser! At least then I KNOW I'll get something, anything! I've never tray developed sheet film but I've been reading more and more about it. Perhaps it is the way to go.

Thanks.
    They are discontinued but not hard to find on eBay... Expect to pay about £140.

http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi john

id try to tray process, it really is not as difficult as it seems
    AND you can do it anywhere where the lights are off. while i have FR tanks
    hangers, a rubber band and film tank and a rotary processor i would rather tray process, its a no-brainer ...
    that is, unless you don't have anyplace where it is dark, then it won't work.
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use paper drums for 4x5 and develop up to four sheets at a time with just 200ml of chemistry.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    Not sure if you're joking about the safe light, because you can't use one with any panchromatic films, only orthochromatic. All you need to tray process is a few trays and a completely dark place, probably the same place you load the film holders. In my case, that is my bathroom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In terms of new equipment, if you have the budget, the JOBO CPP-3 is available for $3000. Possibly that is overkill though.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4083-Jobo-CPP-3-Processor

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin