Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,108   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kentmere films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan-Peter View Post
    Hi, ToddB;

yes, I have exposed and developed one Kentmere 100 in Ilford ID 11, 1+3. It is a fine film! However, it is no super fine grain film as TMax 100 or Delta 100 - rather one of the "old type" films as Ilford FP4 - but very sharp and a wide range of lights and shadows.

Summing up: It is a very good and a reliable budget film for every days photography without spcific distortions as e.g. the Polypan that has a high amount of halation.

Jan-Peter
    Yes I agree. With the Kentmere 400 and the Ilford developer gives a nice negative. I enlarged a few to 11x14 for display purposes with no regrets. Always a good everyday film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 400 is comparable with Forma 400 but the Kentmere has Ilford quality control, the Forma is ok today though has Been quaint in past.

If you ignore the price differences

delta 400 - has grain and scale like FP
    HP - has more grain but wider scale
    Kent - has grain like HP scale like FP

approximately

Michael Angelo will have had more than one paint brush

note I like the grain but gbag a 100 ISO cassette just on case the UFO might be the sun sometimes even PanF!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kentmere 100 is excellent in Xtol 1+2.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    K100 has been my go-to film for the last few months. I've been developing it in Caffenol with good results.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kentmere 400 is prone to fogging in especially Rodinal, but also some other developers. Best results I have had was in HC-110. I can't help but feel that for every good shot I got on K 400, I had wished it rather was on HP5+ or TriX.

The Kentmere 100 I've shot have been good for the price. Because it is so cheap as a bulk roll, I use it for testing cameras, lenses, developers etc. It doesn't fog the same as the 400.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Dorff,

I do not understand your meaning 'prone to fogging' ? do you mean chemical fog ?

Anyway its not relevant, without wishing to appear rude in any way, have you had it checked out ( by us ? ) since fogging is not usually something that is 'inherent' in a film....any film, unless it is fogged post manufacture .

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    True enough. I've never had a film in my life that just decided to fog for no reason. I don't imagine film is made on purpose with a built-in fog.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see a comment comparing Kentmere 400 with Foma 400. I have tried Foma and found it wanting - grain was much too large to suit me (35mm). How does the grain in Kentmere compare? Thanks,

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well grain is subjective the Kentmere is about the same as HP5 the Forma more intrusive.

But I use Rodinal or ID68 as necessary to contain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found Kentmere 100 and 400 a decent film, at least developed in D 76 1 to 1. Haven't tried it in other soups.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin