Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,819   Online: 1150

Shooter
    35mm

Blue Toning problem

Could I ask for help with a toning problem please. This afternoon I attempted to duo tone a few prints. They are all made a couple of days ago on Adox MCC 110 processed in Ilford PQ with a two bath Hypam fix followed by an hour in a slot washer. My usual toning procedure is as follows. After a pre-soak, a brief selenium tone, 90 sec @ 1+12. Then wash for 20 mins, followed by 90-120 secs in a homemade Iron blue toner, Ferric Ammonium Citrate, Potassium Ferricyanide and Succinic acid. This toner is used at a very weak dilution from the stock solution. Finally a clearing wash in a salt water bath, which is a teaspoon of table salt to 1 litre of water. Iíve used this procedure a number of times with consistency and without failure. However, when two of the prints were put into the salt clearing bath, the hi lights started to bleach away. Not only the blue toner but the silver image as well. And I canít think why.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't got a clue. And when I don't I try to trace my steps and double check all ingredients. What did I do? Where there any deviations or did I forget a step or did I use a new brand/type of something?
    Did I use a contaminated device, like a tray used before to bleach and that wasn't cleaned, or did I use a wrong concentration of an ingredient, or did I put bleach in a can I normally put distilled water in, or ...
    If not, I try to reproduce it by replacing one factor (cleaned tool, fresh ingredient) at a time, starting at the end of the process, thus eliminating an unknown error.

Good luck hunting!!!
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've played with blue toner a bit.

Apparently, toner's ability to "blue" the print expires long before ferri stops working. So when I used very dilute toner, it bleached print after toning effect stopped.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both for your replies. It's strange it only happened with 2 out of the 6 prints I toned. I'll double check everything, all I can think of is those 2 prints hadn't washed correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My guess would be that the salt bath got contaminated with Ferricyanide which bleached away both the Silver image and possibly also the blue toned image parts. Since salt is Sodium Chloride which can dissolve Silver ions, there is a chance that salt + Ferricyanide formed a BLIX.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin