Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,935   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tech Pan wabisabi

I bought 80' of Very Very Old 70mm Tech Pan off eBay and ran a handful of test frames (EI6, 12, 25, 50) last night with my new RZ 140 M-LA. Developed it in C41 developer for 7:00 and it came out beautifully, plenty of shadow detail at EI25 and with less contrast than I would normally develop a film. Plenty to work with, except...

Something is growing on it. Something thin and spidery and fungus-like, though it could be any old mould that's lived in the can for the 20 years since it expired.

The seller (who I haven't contacted yet) offers a refund in the listing on 3 of 4 cans if the film is faulty - should I take him up on it? I'd be getting back $45 and spending probably $30 on postage to send it back, which makes me inclined to keep it if only for the cartridges! Should I expect less mould towards the far end of the film?

Got any wabisabi kind of photographic suggestions for super high-res film with bonus crustiness? I'll post an image tomorrow, no time to scan tonight.

I saw there was a motherlode of 70mm TP sold about 3 times here on APUG a year or three ago. Does the current holder of that stash wish to part with any of it?

Shooter
    35mm
    When something is "not as listed" you can ask the seller to refund all costs, including shipping costs both ways. I have had sellers balk on the return shipping but if I insist, and they still balk, I go directly to eBay and eBay has always provided me with return shipping labels, or in some cases the seller says keep it.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you say 'spidery fungus-like', does it look like this?
    Depends on how extreme it is, and how far into the middle. If it's just around the edges, could make a nice vignette/border for some portraits.
    Personally, I'd go shoot something nice and old, technical or industrial and probably rusty, like down at the Port (or maybe I'm just obsessed with old rusty buildings down there because it's not too far from my drive home).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, it looks a bit like that example from newtorf. A bit less straight-line thatched, but with similar growth patterns. The growths are physically larger but a smaller fraction of the frame since this is 70mm, not 35mm.

I'll go post in that thread too once I have a scan, since it seems to confirm that the issue there was growths not the double-exposure everyone was accusing them of.

el wacho: erm, I don't think I plan to go *quite* that far

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Yep, it looks a bit like that example from newtorf. A bit less straight-line thatched, but with similar growth patterns. The growths are physically larger but a smaller fraction of the frame since this is 70mm, not 35mm.

I'll go post in that thread too once I have a scan, since it seems to confirm that the issue there was growths not the double-exposure everyone was accusing them of.

el wacho: erm, I don't think I plan to go *quite* that far
    Sorry for your loss.... lol

Honestly, not only would I throw out the pictures, I wouldn't even let them touch my scanner... further I would throw out the cans too (or send them back). That's certainly the kind of thing that SPREADS to other films you own, and if it's being that aggressive I wouldn't want it anywhere near my stuff...

Get rid of it! Including the cans, DO NOT reuse the spools.

That's my biased advice agains mold spores...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    bah, unnecessary paranoia. Fungal spores are all around anyway; what matters is whether you give them a chance (moisture+heat) to grow. You'll never have a spore-free environment.

Anyway, a scan:

That also served as a test for my new 140/4.5 M/L-A macro, which you can see here operating at 1:2. At EI16 there is shadow detail everywhere, and the 7:00 of development I gave it wasn't enough; the image is quite flat both in the scan and on the neg. I've left the scan at low contrast so that all the detail in the fungus is retained.

The interesting thing is that the density of the fungal-affected areas seems proportional to the exposure, as if the fungus was acting as a development catalyst rather than an exposing agent. You can barely see tiny tendrils of it extending out of the frames, but it has no silver density where there was no optical exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Recently bought an RB lens that has some fungal spots on the rear element - the vendor said it was very few but I see most of the rear element having 2 full circles of spots, debating whether to retain it or send it back.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed with polyglot, there's always spores around, it doesn't "spread"-, it's already everywhere. Mostly inert unless given the right conditions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would let the seller know, just so he doesn't sell more mold film!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin