Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,849   Online: 845

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tri-x 1600

Shooter
    Medium Format

tri-x 1600

hi everyone,

I posted about this in another thread but thought it would be cleaner to start a new thread. I have to process some Tri-X ASAP, which I had to shoot for the first time at 1600, and I don't have time to do my own tests. I only have HC 110 on hand.

What is the safest way to go? The massive dev chart says dilution B for 16mins but the Kodak data sheet says dilution B for 6 minutes. That is a very worrying discrepancy. I think the best bet would probably be to go with semi stand development as it was a pretty contrasty scene. If anyone has done semi stand development in HC 110 with Tri-X pushed to 1600 could you please let me know your development temp and time? Many many thanks in advance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looks like you got great advice with examples from Adelorenzo in that other thread...

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yeah I was hoping to find someone who had done semi stand developing for a bit longer perhaps - Lorenzo said he found his results a bit contrasty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I regularly stand develope Tri-X at 1600, but in rodinal. Stand dev compensates and tames the highlights.

That said, I don't know what the equivelent dilution would be for HC-110.

In my experience, you can literally not agitate at all, and get close to normal contrast even though it's pushed two stops. And even without agitating, my negs have always been evenly developed.

So, I would recommend stand dev'ing if you can nail down a dilution suited for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asa 1600 _0031.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	76803good results by developing it for 12 minutes in 1;1 D-76, as per the kodak datasheet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asa 1600 _0015.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	76802

Shooter
    Large Format
    My advice would be to hold your horses and get some Acufine-type of developer. I've read these threads repeatedly about somebody who has a paperclip and piece of chewing gum on hand, and is in a big hurry to build a battleship out of it. Put the film in a drawer and move on till you get some proper developer in your hands.
    Edit: being that I don't recall if I ever saw the OP's handle on a post, I'll say once again for his benefit and to the consternation of others; that if you use Rodinal on that film, you'll end up with a disastrous grainy mess of the whole thing. I'll concede that Rodinal is an exceptional developer in it's purposes, but this is NOT one of them.
    This is a job for the Acufine/Microphen class of formulas.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 11-12-2013 at 01:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In an ideal world I would wait for Acufine or some other good stand developer, but I have to get the results to the client in the next day or two so unfortunately it is not an option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you do process this, please share your experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Edit: being that I don't recall if I ever saw the OP's handle on a post, I'll say once again for his benefit and to the consternation of others; that if you use Rodinal on that film, you'll end up with a disastrous grainy mess of the whole thing. I'll concede that Rodinal is an exceptional developer in it's purposes, but this is NOT one of them.
    This is a job for the Acufine/Microphen class of formulas.
    A "disastrous grainy mess" may be a little overstated.

I'm happy with the results I can get with Rodinal stand developing Tri-X at 1600.

But it's beside the point. The OP wants to use HC-110.

I was recommending full stand as a method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img970_1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	754.8 KB 
ID:	76805
    Tri-X @ 1600, Rodinal 1:100, 1hr 30 min stand
    Last edited by pstake; 11-12-2013 at 07:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get some Xtol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin