Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,411   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

good paper developer for small batches

I have recently begun using Barry Thornton's formula for film development and I really like it. Unfortunately I only get to make prints from time to time and am afraid my old stand-by, Dektol, has a short shelf life. Can anyone recommend a good developer for RC VC paper that can be mixed in small batches? Thanks.
    Last edited by fralexis; 11-12-2013 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong font language

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    I have recently begun using Barry Thornton's formula for film development and I really like it. Unfortunately I only get to make prints from time to time and am afraid my old stand-by, Dektol, has a short shelf life. Can anyone recommend a good developer for RC VC paper that can be mixed in small batches? Thanks.
    Ilford PQ Universal is available in 500ml size bottles. It works perfectly well with graded and VC papers, both resin-coated and fibre-based.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ethol LPD would be something you might want to look into. Works extremely well and has great keeping qualities to boot. Not cheap, but not wasteful either. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you make your own, you can make as little or as much as you need. Have a look at http://www.jackspcs.com/pde72.htm . It works just like Dektol and as an ascorbic acid substituted, ingredients are strait forward to source.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have started mixing D-72 as a replacement for Dektol and it works great. I think that you can get the formula at Jack's website. It is very similar to the E-72, but doesn't use ascorbic acid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is the attraction of E-72. It get's increasingly difficult to get suppliers to ship hydoquineone. Ascorbic acid is also safer for the environment.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find it, Kodak Polymax-T/Liquid Dektol is a liquid concentrate that has some similarities to HC-110 (as far as keeping qualities).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use replenished Ansco 130 mixed 1:1. Lasts practically forever. I've recently been using some as replenisher that I misplaced three years ago and it still works well (stored in glass bottles with rubber stoppers). I've been replenishing by minimizing my drain time and washing some developer down the drain with each print. I then fill the 2 liter bottle back to the top with fresh developer mixed 1:1 at the end of the print session. The current mixed bottle has been going for about a year and still develops quickly with nice deep blacks. I do need to filter it every few print sessions to get rid of some black particulates that form.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    That is the attraction of E-72. It get's increasingly difficult to get suppliers to ship hydoquineone. Ascorbic acid is also safer for the environment.
    Any developer containing ascorbate needs to also contain a chelating agent for iron. Otherwise the developer may have a very short life due to the Fenton reaction.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch
    a chelating agent for iron
    Would EDTA be suitable? (of the readily available things)
    If so, which form & how much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin