Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,405   Online: 701

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Put your thinking caps on please! Who made this B&W paper?

Hi,
    I just found this site and it looks great! I'm hoping someone remembers the company that made my favorite B&W paper back in the late '70's. It was not an RC paper and I remember I bought it by the box of 250 8x10 sheets. It was a dark blue box (I think) and I'm 99% sure it was made by a company in Yonkers, NY. I've googled and come up empty. I'm assuming they are now out of business, but my hope is that if someone remembers the company name, I may be able to find something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds like DuPont, but it was probably before the '70s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange.
    When I save my ebay-searches, my ipod-app decides to pick a picture at random from the list and use that next to the title of the saved search in the list. At the time I saved my search for 4x5 B+W film, one of the results was for a dark-blue box of very-expired film, and that is the picture next to my saved search.
    Unfortunately, someone bought it and it no longer appears in the list (not even in the 'completed' list).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Boy. Dupont Defender. That's a long way back. The good old days when there were all kinds of neat photographic supplies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think is was Dupont as I would think that would have been something I'd remember. I wonder if I can find an ad for it in an old Popular Photography magazine.

Rich

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the DuPont reference was less visible on the package you had. There had not been that many photographic manufactures in that time.
    Maybe it even was re-branded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it have been Luminos? They had some papers in blue boxes if I remember correctly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Agfa used to have a good chunk of blue on it's box.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might have been Luminos. They were the UK importer/distributor for Adox in the 1950's but seem to have moved to the US possibly when Dupont took over Adox. There was a severe economic crisis in the UK early 1960's which led to the closure of many photographic manufacturers. They then distributed Guillemot and later Kentmere papers in the US in blue boxes under their own Luminos brand name.

Early 70's their papers were made in West Germany, I'm not sure if it was Adox (Dupont) the Adox plant was moved to Croatia by 1972.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-14-2013 at 04:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin