Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,686   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1328

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

How do you store negs that you print often?

Just looking for some recommendations. I have a few cherished negatives that I print often. My normal storage procedure is to store them in print file sleeves in 3-ring binders with the negatives, but I'm not sure I like the idea of sliding the negatives in and out of the sleeves many times.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian - get yourself some fold-lock/fold flap sleeves. They are available from Archival Methods and Print File. No sliding.

If you get the Archival Methods ones, there are two types (same design) - Polyester and Polypropylene. My understanding is from an "archival" perspective they are equivalent. But the Polyester ones are heavier and much stiffer so I prefer those. They are more expensive than the Polypropylene versions but worth it I think.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 11-14-2013 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Like these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup.

Also these:

http://www.printfile.com/foldflap-120-film.aspx

There used to be frosted mylar (polyester) sleeves but I don't remember who made them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's what I use too for all my negatives, not just the frequently printed ones. The only issue I have is it's a bit harder to get all the individual sleeves aligned for making contact sheets. Not so bad for black and white, but color without a safelight is a bit hard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are sleeves in full pages like this that you could contact easier it seems. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...Top+Nav-Search=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I find the PrintFile pages just fine and have never had a scratch from sliding the negatives in and out. That said, I shoot sheet film and the sliding in and out process is a bit easier than for longer strips of roll film.

For negatives that I need a lot of prints from, I typically make five or even more during one printing session. I store these unmounted and mount them up as needed for customers. Maybe you could do that and reduce the number of times you need to remove a negative from its sleeve for printing.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep all my 4x5s in printfile pages along with the contact print with all info on the back of the print, in a three ring binder..
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin