Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,798   Online: 694

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

BW-65 developer from Formulary, colder than Ansco 130?

I just this weekend finished two printing sessions using BW-65 developer for the first time.

My usual stock is LPD mixed 1:1.

The shadow details are more pronounced and the blacks are INKY, wow. Unfortunately, the tray life is not long, a few hours.

But I'm hooked on the shadow detail and deep blacks.

One thing I noticed with the BW-65 is that it yields a cold-neutral tone, which I usually prefer. I used it with some graded Slavich bromportrait, which came out more neutral but also with some VC Silver Eagle, which yielded cold, blue-blacks and a testament to the value of that fine paper thankfully offered by an APUG Sponsor, Photo Warehous (I have no relation other than as a customer but am grateful to companies still committed to the Analog industry)

I have read that Ansco 130 has all the benefits of BW-65 but with a longer tray life. However, I have also read that it is a warmtone developer.

Does the tone with Ansco 130 differ from BW-65?

Has anyone directly compared Ansco 130 with BW-65?
    Last edited by pstake; 11-17-2013 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansco 130 is generally reputed to be a neutral tone developer. Some people find it slightly warm-neutral, which seems fairly logical given the high bromide concentration. Then again it depends on the paper, subjective impressions, viewing conditions, etc. John Wimberley came up with a bluer version which substitutes varying amounts of the bromide with benzotriazole. There are variations by other people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Ansco 130 is generally reputed to be a neutral tone developer. Some people find it slightly warm-neutral, which seems fairly logical given the high bromide concentration. Then again it depends on the paper, subjective impressions, viewing conditions, etc. John Wimberley came up with a bluer version which substitutes varying amounts of the bromide with benzotriazole. There are variations by other people.
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like something to look into.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin