Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,613   Online: 906
      
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 140
  1. #111
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Besides all the other manufacturers listed above, don't forget that Foma also make a few b+w cine-film materials. Perhaps it might be more accurate to say that Double-XX is the only b+w cine material made in USA.
    I meant made by kodak, sorry, that was my stupid brain not being clear.

    And it's Double-X not XX
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  2. #112

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,887
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Kodak is not Efke. Fotochemika had all kinds of cutting and packaging problems due to their financial inability to maintain their facility. This fact eventually became their demise. I really liked some of their products, but the quality control was often so-so. If Kodak cuts the film, it will be correct.
    drew. you forget it is the cine division that is making this, not alaris.
    alaris is used to cutting sheet film, cine isnt.
    alaris knows 4x5 isnt at size, as some folks do, but not everyone is that savvy,
    efke cut everything 1/32" off as i remember, and they had been cutting film (adox as well ) since
    the early days.. founded in 1860 earlier than Kodak ...
    i dont think i it would be far fetched to think that the cine division would be clueless,
    after all they have tripled the price because they foresee
    problems cutting this film to sheet film sizes ( this is the stuff that is like 1$/roll in 35mm,
    the sheet film price it will cost is 6x the normal price)

    we can only hope they dont cut it when mercury is retrograde ..

  3. #113

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,887
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    All kodak film is guaranteed against manufacture defects with replacement or refund, you know that.
    is it, will it?
    is cutting the film the wrong size a defect,
    or is that just the emulsion itself that is guaranteed.
    sounds like something worth discussing ...

  4. #114
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Kodaks cutters are roll type which use precision rolls to shear as they draw on the take up spooling. Eastman/Kodak is having to design and machine a custom roll shear pair if I remember the historic film machine photos correctly. No small task. Many ante'd in. Some hung on at the raise. We will see how the hand plays out. I've had risk managers refuse to allow their corporate lab to mix an expiramental lubricant for full price and we do the testing.... At least E/K will try it.
    Yea, if EK will agree to do it, they are probably pretty confident that the film will be fine, the base of the cine film is fairly thick to begin with.

    In comparison, Ilford won't even entertain the idea of cutting PanF+ in sheet. So I'm sure this film will work, heck it's got to be better than the IR sheet film that's super thin.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  5. #115
    wildbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,481
    Images
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

    And trust me, the movie industry doesn't use "middle of the road" film, period, they only settle for the best, which is why it's still around as the last B&W movie film available.

    Anyway you have no interest, that's fine, it's happening anyway.
    that's funny. there's one left but it's the best. I like that.
    What's happening anyway?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

    I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

  6. #116
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    drew. you forget it is the cine division that is making this, not alaris.
    alaris is used to cutting sheet film, cine isnt.
    alaris knows 4x5 isnt at size, as some folks do, but not everyone is that savvy,
    efke cut everything 1/32" off as i remember, and they had been cutting film (adox as well ) since
    the early days.. founded in 1860 earlier than Kodak ...
    i dont think i it would be far fetched to think that the cine division would be clueless,
    after all they have tripled the price because they foresee
    problems cutting this film to sheet film sizes ( this is the stuff that is like 1$/roll in 35mm,
    the sheet film price it will cost is 6x the normal price)

    we can only hope they dont cut it when mercury is retrograde ..
    Actually this is wrong, the cine division will give the film to the normal cutters and they will cut it... I don't know which "company" it will be, but the normal sheet film cutters will cut it.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  7. #117
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    is it, will it?
    is cutting the film the wrong size a defect,
    or is that just the emulsion itself that is guaranteed.
    sounds like something worth discussing ...
    OMG John, seriously. Of course, all kodak film is, stop posting you're not helping and not even being productive, you're being a scab
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  8. #118
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    that's funny. there's one left but it's the best. I like that.
    What's happening anyway?
    I meant that they got rid of the other cine films and kept this because of all of them this was the best and most popular (like the beginning if the latest bond was shot on it).

    It's going forward, Keith Canham is collecting the money now, about 15 more boxes need to be officially purchased (which isn't much when the total was like 300 boxes or something) and then the order will be placed with Kodak.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #119

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,887
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Actually this is wrong, the cine division will give the film to the normal cutters and they will cut it... I don't know which "company" it will be, but the normal sheet film cutters will cut it.
    thats good, considering previously it had been inferred that e cine division would be dong it all...
    alaris and the cine division are in the same place ?

  10. #120

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,887
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    OMG John, seriously. Of course, all kodak film is, stop posting you're not helping and not even being productive, you're being a scab
    not being productive?
    considering people are paying 6$/sheet for film
    it seems that it is good to know the fine print, and seeing this is film never used for this purpose
    maybe normal- guarantees might not be the same ...
    not as naive as you, since i have been buying sheet film for 25 years and had troubles over that
    period with kodak.
    you actually think if the film is too curly and falls out of he holders kodak will refund the $$?

    poorly cut film, to thin film, problems unforseen that happen after delivery ..This would normally be guaranteed
    but because this is "special-request film" the normal might not apply...

    this is why im not buying this film, not because i dont want the look .. but because
    it is all hard sell wih no real answers aside from how it is special in 35mm and the last black and white emulsion made...

    most of what you post is opinion, not fact ... lol hahaha
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-09-2014 at 08:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin