Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,931   Online: 1012

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a thought, has anyone actually got a response from Kodak about the production of sheet film?

It is usual that the base material for sheets is much thicker, or completely different (for Kodak's 'Estar' polyester tradename). If sheets are cut from the same big reels as the 35mm and 16mm stock, then won't they be sub-optimally floppy??

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Just a thought, has anyone actually got a response from Kodak about the production of sheet film?

It is usual that the base material for sheets is much thicker, or completely different (for Kodak's 'Estar' polyester tradename). If sheets are cut from the same big reels as the 35mm and 16mm stock, then won't they be sub-optimally floppy??
    The guy (Keith) said Kodaks response was good but in order for them to give him the financial details and do the research he needed to get up a list of potential buyers before they would actually do the work, so the more the merrier.

It's kodak, they wouldn't cut something on a base if it would be crappy and give them bad publicity... IF they cut it, I'm sure it will be stable.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got questions about the base as well, I shoot a lot of 5222 in 35mm, and can't quite reconcile that film thickness in a film holder… Now that I said that I'm going to go see how much thinner it seems than HP5+ sheet film. Back shortly.

I don't have anything that will give a numerical measurement, but two layers of Double-X are ever so thicker than one layer of HP5 8x10 film. Now to see if I can find some micron measurements for both bases somewhere…

From Simon Galley via APUG:
    175 micron polyester sheet film base
    From here:
    Kodak VISION Color Print Film (ESTAR) base has a nominal thickness of 0.0047 inches (119 microns).
    Last edited by sepiareverb; 11-20-2013 at 11:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Double X is on an acetate base, for the record...

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...22_techpub.pdf

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kodak Double X

Quote Originally Posted by Karl A View Post

Thanks, I'm getting confused between the LFF and APUG threads and also there are a few APUG versions of this thread... Lol, they need to be merged or something because I thought I posted that link on here but it was apparently only on the other thread.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya, posting of identical messages to multiple boards confuses me too. I get so confused that I stop reading all of them. Ha ha.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ya, posting of identical messages to multiple boards confuses me too. I get so confused that I stop reading all of them. Ha ha.
    I kind of have to read them all since I started this whole thing.... Lol

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have committed 10 boxes, and I want to know will Kodak supply 120 format 5222 for group buy option?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmma View Post
    I have committed 10 boxes, and I want to know will Kodak supply 120 format 5222 for group buy option?
    There's some question about whether the 35mm film base is thick enough to work when cut into 4x5 sheets; for 120 I believe it's too thick! Wouldn't the normal length of film and paper rolled together on a spool be too big a diameter to fit in a lot of cameras?

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl A View Post

Then, this (also from APUG) should help:
    There are two basic types of film stock: Triacetate & Polyester.

Triacetate stock made by Kodak has a nominal base thickness of 142 microns. (0.0056")
    Polyester stock made by Kodak has a nominal base thickness of 119 microns. (0.0046")

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin