Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 758

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I still have about a hundred feet of aerographic double x in my fridge - unexposed end rolls from an aerographic photographer. It's coated on a 2.5mil estar base - way too thin to use with a conventional 4x5 or 5x7 holder (for comparison, tri-x 4x5 sheet is coated on a 7mil estar base). The only way to use the stuff I have is with an adhesive holder. It's a truly unique film. It doesn't seem to have any anti-halation backing as specular highlights exhibit halide migration effects. Also, no shoulder at all which, if handled in a non-hamfisted fashion, can yield beautiful prints from high key exposures. In my experience, prints from xx negs souped in pyro appear even sharper than my prints from pyro fp4 negs. It would be interesting to see how much of an effect, if any, base thickness has on resolution.

Has Mr. can ham confirmed base thickness?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35 and 120 are the same thickness (at least for still films), though they don't seem like it because of the width.
    4x5 is thicker, so the sheets might fit a little loosely in holders, but it probably isn't enough to matter much for most purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't heard anything about the base thickness. But this was just posted on Facebook.

It is time for another update on the co-op for Kodak special order 4x5 Double X film. I have been trying to find the words to express how amazing this all is. I first asked about interest on Monday. Now, Thursday morning I have 42 names on the list and 123 boxes. Who could have imagined. If you have questions about what Double X emulsion is, please read the comments on the two earlier posts. Thank you to everybody who has shared about the project. All of you make things like this happen.
    It's looking good!
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I believe 120 is actually thinner than 35 mm, which in turn is thinner than sheet film. 35 mm needs to be stronger for movie cameras I think and so must have enough thickness so the sprocket holes won't break, unlike 120

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl A View Post
    I believe 120 is actually thinner than 35 mm, which in turn is thinner than sheet film. 35 mm needs to be stronger for movie cameras I think and so must have enough thickness so the sprocket holes won't break, unlike 120
    That's what seems to be the case if the numbers here are correct:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...m-support.html

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    There's some question about whether the 35mm film base is thick enough to work when cut into 4x5 sheets; for 120 I believe it's too thick! Wouldn't the normal length of film and paper rolled together on a spool be too big a diameter to fit in a lot of cameras?

Duncan
    hi duncan

from what i have just read and understand the film will be on the 5222 base which is thicker than 120 + "normal" 35mm film but a teensy weensy bit thinner than 4x5 film ..
    there's info on the canham camera facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/K-B-C...31324393576850

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found this looking up D 96 developer

http://www.project-double-x.org/

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Special order Eastman Double-X in 4x5 sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I found this looking up D 96 developer

http://www.project-double-x.org/

Dave
    Yea as I sad on LFF, I've sent a message to the main site guy but didn't want to sign up to another forum, but if momentum slows (seems steady at 20-30 boxes a day) I'll sign up to get more people. But thanks it's appreciated
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    As others have mentioned, there are many thicknesses of Poly film. Typically it is made slightly thiner than the acetate base in order to arrive at a film with about the same overall stiffness.

The high strength and tear Resistance of Poly allows the 2.5 mil base to be used, I recall using Microfilm stock back in the 1980 era that came 215 feet on what is commonly considered as a 100ft spool.

Sheet film is normally on a thicker (7 Mil) stock, no mater if made from Poly or Acetate. Although Poly is generally preferred as the disadvantages of Poly in other uses (Light Piping and failure to yield in a camera jam) don't apply to sheet film.

I am not sure if the proposal in this case is to just cut some sheet film sizes chunks from a Master roll of 5 mil 5222/7222 stock or to prepare some sheet film base with 5222 coating.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    I am not sure if the proposal in this case is to just cut some sheet film sizes chunks from a Master roll of 5 mil 5222/7222 stock or to prepare some sheet film base with 5222 coating.
    It's got to be the former; I can't even imagine the minimums Kodak would require to do the latter.

Duncan

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin