Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1033

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    It's got to be the former; I can't even imagine the minimums Kodak would require to do the latter.

Duncan
    I would agree it's probably going to be the former, however it is possible if Kodak decides that the base is just too thin that they wouldn't put it out kind of like the way Milford has refused to make PanF+ available in sheet because the base is too thin, that it's possible they may do the letter rather then refusing altogether.

We will really just have to wait and see, but if people can handle using that horribly thin IR film in sheet form, then I'm sure that they could handle this because I believe that this would still be thicker.

We will just have to wait and see,
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eastman 5222 (Double-X) film does not have to be developed in a special developer D-96. Motion picture film is typically developed to a lower Contrast Index or Gamma than still films hence the use of a softer developer. The reason for this is because prints are made on positive stock which is fairly contrasty. For still use you can use any film developer you wish.

I prefer to rate 5222 at an EI of 400 outdoors to get a bit more contrast and have used Rodinal 1+49 @ 21C and HC-110 1+49 8.5 m @21C. Because this film is on a thicker base it dries flat and tends not to curl.

Kodak lists an RMS Granularity of 14 (very file) which makes it finer grained than Tri-X RMS Granularity 17 (fine).
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-23-2013 at 11:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Eastman 5222 (Double-X) film does not have to be developed in a special developer D-96. Motion picture film is typically developed to a lower Contrast Index or Gamma than still films hence the use of a softer developer. The reason for this is because prints are made on positive stock which is fairly contrasty. For still use you can use any film developer you wish.

I prefer to rate 5222 at an EI of 400 outdoors to get a bit more contrast and have used Rodinal 1+49 @ 21C and HC-110 1+49 8.5 m @21C. Because this film is on a thicker base it dries flat and tends not to curl.

Kodak lists an RMS Granularity of 14 (very file) which makes it finer grained than Tri-X RMS Granularity 17 (fine).
    Thanks, perhaps it prints better than it scans, (being finer grain than I've experienced) which would make sense since it's an older emulsion formula to my knowledge.

Anyway can not wait to shoot it!!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks, perhaps it prints better than it scans, (being finer grain than I've experienced) which would make sense since it's an older emulsion formula to my knowledge.

Anyway can not wait to shoot it!!
    In the past Kodak has routinely made unannounced changes in its products. So even though 5222 has been around for a long time (1959) the emulsion has probably changed quite a bit over the years.

From a variety of posts concerning scans many say that unless one is carful and has a good scanner grain can be unduly emphasized. T
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    In the past Kodak has routinely made unannounced changes in its products. So even though 5222 has been around for a long time (1959) the emulsion has probably changed quite a bit over the years.

From a variety of posts concerning scans many say that unless one is carful and has a good scanner grain can be unduly emphasized. T
    I would completely agree with the comment about not having a good scanner and getting some grainy looking images, but it's not unpleasant it's actually very nice.

And I'm sure I have the crappy as the scanners, compared to others who are interested in for my five, and in fact probably most of them optically print which means they'll have fantastically sharp images. And at some point in my life hopefully in the near future I to will be optically printing and will have better finer images and the ones that come from my scans

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bump, almost there! Over 150 boxes committed to, just a few more and we'll be able to order!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine will be printed optically (probably scanned for posting on line as well, though). Can't wait to get this stuff!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpreston View Post
    Mine will be printed optically (probably scanned for posting on line as well, though). Can't wait to get this stuff!
    Hope it happens! It's the weekend so I think there will be an update Monday, then we wait to gear from kodak on numbers and any issues with emulsion, I really hope after all this that there's no issue doing it... I'm so excited at this! I'm in for 3 boxes officially but maybe I'll get 4, I know it will probably not happen again one time deal, gotta stock up

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wish i could afford more than one box. My wife and middle daughter have to have surgery in the next two weeks so there's not much extra cash kicking around. On top of that, Christmas is around the corner and my oldest daughter is getting married in the Spring. Yeah, I'm pretty much broke right now : ).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpreston View Post
    Wish i could afford more than one box. My wife and middle daughter have to have surgery in the next two weeks so there's not much extra cash kicking around. On top of that, Christmas is around the corner and my oldest daughter is getting married in the Spring. Yeah, I'm pretty much broke right now : ).
    Yea, I'm concerned about Christmas too, he needs to get that info from Kodak soon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin