Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,782   Online: 857

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me try: I think he shoots Double-X at EI 400. When developed in Rodinal at 1:100 he finds the grain to be finer than what he gets with Tri-X (3x) but it doesn't matter much in 4x5

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Let me try: I think he shoots Double-X at EI 400. When developed in Rodinal at 1:100 he finds the grain to be finer than what he gets with Tri-X (3x) but it doesn't matter much in 4x5
    Lol! Oh thanks few! Lol

It Could matter, if it didn't people wouldn't shoot 20x24
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Someone on the other forum asked about an update, so I figured I would post it here as well.

We have sufficient orders to make the actual order, or requests to make the order that is, now we are just waiting on Kodak to do integrity tests to see if it's a viable option to cut the film for sheet, and if they need to do a different backing and if so if that's even possible so we're waiting on Kodak basically..

I suspect we won't hear anything until the end of year or after because of the holiday season I'm sure Kodak is busy.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So there's good news and bad news, the good news is Kodak got back to us faster than anticipated, the bad news is that the price is much higher than anticipated.

Since I'm the one who started this whole roller coaster in the first place, I wanted to comment.

I agree that the price is high.

I'm curious to know if price total is the final factor or the amount of boxes needed for the order (meaning, I commuted to 3= $300, so if I order 1 at $300 does that cover me?

I'll ask him if they would talk to the non Cine folks to get more advice, but I also wanted to commend everyone for offering to do it in the first place.

Here is the email response, I think it's worth reading.

"Stone;
    I really did not believe I would be writing you about an update on the 4x5 Kodak Double X cinematography film before the first of the year, but I received confirmation yesterday evening. The manufacturing division of Eastman Kodak is will to try cutting Double X into 4x5 sheets. They have no experience in trying to cut cine film into sheets. Cine film has a different substrate then sheet films and this could cause problems. I can tell you as a manufacturer of cameras that doing something the very first time has a learning curve as well as risk of material waste during the learning process. Kodak has expressed these concerns as well. They believe that a significant amount of film could be lost while getting a system set up to cut this unusual film. There is also administrative time to create a new notch code and set up a new product in their system. All of this is to say that the film is more expensive then originally estimated. This first time out the cost of a 50 sheet box will be $300.00. (cash price) Although this is higher then I had estimated or hoped, I think Eastman Kodak and Kodak Alaris should be commended for their willingness to give this a try. (Just a note here, they say that if during the process of trying to make the film the waste becomes too great they reserve the right to cancel the order.)

It is now time for me to start collect the funds. I will deposit the payments in a special account, so that if the order does get cancelled I can return your money. (minus bank or credit card fees) I need the following from you: shipping address, number of boxes needed, and whether you would like to pay by check, money order, credit card, or wire transfer. After I receive the information I will email you an invoice and any other information you need to make payment. If a credit card is used there will be about a 3% fee added and for wire transfers the fee is $30.00. I do not take Paypal. I wish I did not have to put all this about the fees, but I kept the margin on the film so small that I cannot absorb the fees. If you have any questions, please email me back with them. It is a bit crazy here around the holidays, but I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. I know this can be a busy time for you as well. It is going to take some time to get all the funds collected. I will keep you updated as this order progresses.
    Regards;
    Keith Canham"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My opinion is: initially it was 'no risk' - I'd buy and use TXP at the original price anyway. Now it's a significant 'luxury' item (TXP is only $85 a box of 50 in Australia at the moment, for reasons I don't fully comprehend (other film is way more expensive)). So it's gone from AU$1.70 per sheet to AU$6.78 per sheet. Crikey!!

So now I have to give that some... consideration.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    127 Format
    There's an old adage in contracting, if you really don't want the job make the bid so high the customer would be nuts to pay it. Sounds like Kodak doesn't want the job.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I already posted this at LFF but I'll repeat it here.

Everyone has to do what makes sense to them with this project. I do feel that this project is important, so I committed to 3 boxes. Now it is time to put up or shut up. I notified Keith this evening that I would order 3 boxes even though the additional cost would be difficult.

I know that many people may not be able to afford to participate. But even if you can only buy one box...or get together with a friend and split a box, I strongly encourage you to do that. I really think it is much more important than we think for this to have every chance to work. It may not, but if it does, the next time gets far easier, and less expensive. Doing something the first time is always the toughest. I hope everyone will give this particular project an honest chance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll get in on this. shoot me an email oo.agar@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $6 a sheet for black and white 4x5?? What's so special about this film again? I might - maybe - pay that much for a fresh run of HIE in 4x5.

I don't mean to be critical and I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anyone, I'm seriously wondering why it could be worth this much. I too appreciate Kodak Alaris for even taking on the project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And at a risk of waste. Just what we need Kodak to do, ruin what little film they do make. Too many questions still about the film in a film holder for me, and with a half again higher price than I pay for 810, in fact a price approaching 11x14? I'm out. Not that I was ever in on this one.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin