Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,449   Online: 1086

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    i would have bought some of this film even at 300/ box seeing i know it stores well only if i could have afforded to buy at least 500 sheets of it
    unfortunately 300 / 50sheets is out of my league and i can't afford to pawn anything i own, or give loved ones coal for the holidays.

its good to see the new kodak or alaris or the cine film division willing to take risks, even thought they pass the higher price to the consumer. the cousin of this cine film i am guessing is the rolls of plus x aero i am fond of shooting .. thinnish base but after a few processing runs
    there are no kinks to iron out.

unfortunately 3000$ of film is out of my budget, and i wouldn't want to buy less because id rather shoot 1 film for a long time
    than switch to the flavor of the month next month.

hope you have enough people to make the order go through.
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-21-2013 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am guessing is the rolls of plus x aero i am fond of shooting .. thinnish base but after a few processing runs
    No it is double-x i.e. between plus-x and tri-x, its grain is between the tabular grain 400 and Tri-x grain, closer to the tabular grain - though a subjective call, so it is close to (Ilford) FP4 in grain though seems softer working than Tri-x in Microphen/ID68, the base seems thick - for a 35mm still cassette. I don't have a 5x4 camera - so I'm not tempted...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    i would have bought some of this film even at 300/ box seeing i know it stores well only if i could have afforded to buy at least 500 sheets of it
    unfortunately 300 / 50sheets is out of my league and i can't afford to pawn anything i own, or give loved ones coal for the holidays.

its good to see the new kodak or alaris or the cine film division willing to take risks, even thought they pass the higher price to the consumer. the cousin of this cine film i am guessing is the rolls of plus x aero i am fond of shooting .. thinnish base but after a few processing runs
    there are no kinks to iron out.

unfortunately 3000$ of film is out of my budget, and i wouldn't want to buy less because id rather shoot 1 film for a long time
    than switch to the flavor of the month next month.

hope you have enough people to make the order go through.
    You should order that many, it would make up the gap...

I wish they had given an option for example to say hey, if you can come up with double the amount of orders that you just presented us, then we could lower the margin and maybe make it available for $150 or $200 a box instead. I agree that $300 is just a little high, but I'm still going to put in for one box to cover the initial $300 I stated I would spend. But John I do agree with you, that it is hard to know that this would be a one production run, however it is possible that it would become something more regular if people enjoy it. At this point it's all speculation.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    i hear you stone ..
    to be honest its too bad they couldnt have worked UP to 4/5
    by doing wider and wider cuts off the roll ..
    35 mm is already there ...
    so next a special run of 120/220/620
    then 2/3 then 3/4 then 4/5
    and that way they could have gotten their own knowledge about this film
    as they went along and consulted with people within their company if they
    had questions .. it might have brought the $ down or at least let the price of film catch up
    to the 600/100 sheets they were asking ..

but what do i know, im just a hack buying and using film ... nothing more

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    No it is double-x i.e. between plus-x and tri-x, its grain is between the tabular grain 400 and Tri-x grain, closer to the tabular grain - though a subjective call, so it is close to (Ilford) FP4 in grain though seems softer working than Tri-x in Microphen/ID68, the base seems thick - for a 35mm still cassette. I don't have a 5x4 camera - so I'm not tempted...

whatever it might be the base is probably closer to aero than sheets

2nd cousin 2wice removed?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    to be honest its too bad they couldnt have worked UP to 4/5
    by doing wider and wider cuts off the roll ..
    35 mm is already there ...
    so next a special run of 120/220/620
    They are a production company, this would be an experiment, bound to cost money, getting the production people to do something different, always involves risk of more expensive people getting involved, scrap, wastage,... etc.

They don't do any mono in 220 any more (?), the Trix 220 was real expensive when they cancelled.

Getting them to do a run of Trix in 220 would have been even more expensive again than the last batch, allowing for inflation even if they still had the staff who could recall the procedures. They already have the roll of film for 120, spools, (cept for 620), etc., ...

I'm more worried about, when do I need to go to Orwo, for cine cause they canceled 5222.

Noel

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi noel

its already a huge gamble cutting cine film into sheets
    whats more risk when you are ankle deep in it?

that way they can get the whole company involved in
    mini runs . you know
    like hiring gift wrappers at the department store this time of year

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hi noel
    like hiring gift wrappers at the department store this time of year
    They know they will only need the gift wrappers once a year, it is the norm every year and they have all the procedures to train them, wrap, and have an end of festival party, they probably hire the most of the same people every year, and they are not wrapping in total darkness, in clean room conditions.

The H bomb test at Bikini Island was a first time experiment, failed a bit for met conditions and sums, it was 300% more yield than anticipated so they damaged the instrumentation bunkers, and some personnel.

It needed the clever people in, to explain what went wrong, went a bit over budget, successful as a bomb though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bravo

Eastman could do these things cause he was planning on flooding the world in cameras and yellow boxes and the investment and risks was small compared to the payoffs, the USAF were in the same sort of boat.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Special order Eastman Double-X in 4x5 sheet.

300$/50 for a film that's not particularly special seems pretty crazy to me. I'm not saying its a bad film or anything but for 300$ I'd rather buy Tmax or TXP. Additionally I think they know the film base will be very thin and annoying to work with.
    Last edited by clayne; 12-21-2013 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If this flies I am going to try this initially in my Grafmatics. The septums should keep the thin base under control.

I suspect the annoying part will be in the developing and printing. I may need to pick up some BTZS 4x5 tubes for this film.

I'll have to hang it with chip clips instead of regular clips.

I can also about bet it will be a curly bugger. I will almost certainly need the glass negative carrier in the Beseler.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin