Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,459   Online: 1128

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Polaroid some other way

I was the LF group and taking about has any one ever did other way is to make a high speed positive paper with a in field simple developer.

They had PMT developers 30 years just have down size and make the machine to unload the paper. Yes I have use pmt machine in the darkroom for stander paper developing.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems like the hard part is the delivery mechanism to get the chemistry and the paper together in the field. You could essentially build a darkroom into the camera, which gives you something like the "Afghan box camera" concept, but if you wanted to use a "Polaroid-like" exposure as a preview for some other camera, that doesn't really solve your problem.

The alternative is to try to integrate the processing into a specially designed film holder, or into the film itself a la Polaroid/Fuji/Impossible. Both are clearly possible, but it would take a lot of work to get something really functional.

At one point there was a slight trend in "Pintoid processor" pinhole cameras made from Altoids tins, with rubber tubing built in so you could get chemicals in and out and process in the tin. The tins are sized just right for a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet, which of course could be film or paper; if you could find an appropriate larger container that would hold the chemicals in, the concept would be adaptable.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    There is at least one person trying some sort of similar idea, a link here on APUG, though with standard film and paper using a double processing step. Hmmm, not so identical at all, but using a positive paper would remove one step of course.

The two 'tricks' then, would be the effective time and composition of the monobath, and a way to move the pos-paper from (presumably) the DDS to the developer pod. I suppose that would be most simple with a changing bag, at which point one may as well do the Afghan box-camera style glove-box processing.
    Last edited by MartinP; 11-19-2013 at 05:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank your for the LINK I have read this one
    One problem is the image is reverse

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    There is at least one person trying some sort of similar idea, a link here on APUG, though with standard film and paper using a double processing step. Hmmm, not so identical at all, but using a positive paper would remove one step of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    If one just wants a preview image then a reversed picture would be no problem? Exposing through the back of standard film (to get a right-way image) would be prevented by the anti-halation layer, but that could be washed out prior to use I suppose. From the instructables page I don't instantly see exactly how the paper is exposed by the film. It's late at night and I'm probably missing something obvious...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    There is no double process involved. That is a direct-positive process.

Shooter
    35mm
    I read it as the film being exposed in the camera, step-1, then being processed in the developing pod with a piece of paper, step-2 ? The film stays as a negative while the paper ends up with a positive image, though I'm not sure how as there is no exposure for it. I'll go and read it again carefully at lunchtime !

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That film is developed by means of a attached pod containing a monobath developer.

"Direct-positive" means yielding a positive image in one developing step in contrast to reversal processing, that takes two developing steps.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin