Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,962   Online: 808

Shooter
    35mm

Negative and print storage against dust

I've been shooting for a while and I'm using print file storage sleeves in files. And to protect from dust I use a bag. But it gets cumbersome and inconvenient.

The prints I conveniently store in paper boxes.

Is there a good standard way to store negatives in print files? I want at least one crush proof box to carry stuff to the darkroom and back. And a cheap solution for storing the bulk at home.

I found a store that has aluminum designed boxes for film with an italian name on them, but I'm not ready to shell out that much.

How do you organize it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy acid-free archival storage boxes in numerous dimensions from several sources.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Could you give me some examples of your favourite ones? I was hoping to find something simple and good value for the money spent.

Or maybe even use common household boxes, but I can't immediately think of boxes of size I need.

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Any office-stationery store will sell archival boxes for A4/Letter size paper, as well as other sizes. These fit most negative sleeve pages quite well and are pretty much a standard product in wide use. I have three different (European) brands, sold as flatpack and assembled with stainless bend-and-clip fittings, which are within a millimetre of each other in size to fit standard archive racking systems. They really are everyday products, thanks to the need to keep paper documents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a look at http://www.archivalmethods.com, there's plenty to choose. I like using their hinged boxes with side-lock flap sleeves and yellow open-ended envelopes for 4x5 or white file folder envelopes for 6x6. Since I'm not sure what format you are looking for, here's an example for 6x6:

Negative File Folder 22-001 size 3-1/2 x 10-1/8
    SideLock Sleeve polyester 31-102 size 2-1/4
    Hinged Lid Box 02-003 size 10-1/4 x 5-1/2 x 4-1/2

you can add to this system as you need, including storage for contact sheets, prints, etc.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I prefer the PrintFile or BesFile storage binders. See here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=storage+binder .

I like white, personally. These keep out dust well. The negatives are in sleeves inside the three-ring binders.

For prints, I use 3"-deep museum boxes of the appropriate size. I use one-ply acid-free rag interleaving between prints.

Best,

Doremus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin