Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,396   Online: 1071

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just read Tim Rudman's newsletter review of these two papers. He spoke very highly of the Classic but had less time to test the cooltone. Specifically mentioned the Classic's noticeable increase in sharpness and d-max, good separation in the highlights. I don't want to paraphrase too much. I'd recommend everyone sign up for his newsletter and read for yourself.

Most importantly (to me), he confirmed the Classic does not Lith, but yields nice results in second pass lith.

He did not have a chance to test the Cooltone in lith printing, so the jury is still out on that one.

If anybody gets a chance to try the cooltone in lith, please post your results!

I'll be buying/trying it for myself after the holidays...

EDIT: I just want to add that the reason Lith-ability is important to me is because it can be hard to find a great photo paper that is also a great lith paper. The majority of my printing is still traditional printing but more and more I'm lith printing, finding it's another tool to make negatives sing that might make only mediocre prints using traditional developer. Appending this info since I know the Ilford folks are watching. And yes, MGWT is fantastic and I'm well stocked with it. Please don't ever stop making MGWT!
    Last edited by pstake; 12-10-2013 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a link to Tim Rudman's newsletter and review of these two papers:

http://www.timrudman.com/newsletters...ewsletter-2013

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I reckon Amidol would work really well [it did with MGIV], and maybe Maxim Muir's blue black formula from The Darkroom Cookbook.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Here is a link to Tim Rudman's newsletter and review of these two papers:

http://www.timrudman.com/newsletters...ewsletter-2013
    In which he reports:

"MG Classic...Air dried glossy gives a comparable finish to MG IV."

Outstanding! MG IV FB was the only current paper besides Galerie whose surface gloss was to my liking.

and

"MG Cooltone...The air dried glossy surface is significantly more shiny than that of Classic , IV or WT."

Disappointing. Assuming others subsequently post their observations which corroborate this, my testing will likely be limited to Classic as a result.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Being a little bit greedy & a little bit hesitant at the same time, I have put an order in for Cooltone, Classic (gloss & matt) with Silverprint in London. Order sailed through so must have them in stock :-) Hesitant 'cos I only ordered the 25 sheet packs at this stage - but holiday fun beckons *counting down the days*.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just ordered the Cooltone. Went with the Edwal Ultra Black developer. Was debating vs the SE6 but Edwal was really cold with the Forte cold tone paper so went with it. Most seem to use SE6 to cool down warm tone papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was a bit disappointed to hear that FB MG1V going as it is by far my favourite paper, why because I prefer the tones I can achieve with it and prefer the finished texture to the of it compared with MG1V WT.

I've been printing with the new MG Classic two days now found really very nice but different.
    I found it about a 1/3 of stop faster in Bromophen 1-4 and image does in the developer quicker as Ilford say. In Bromophen it gives a subtle warmth, to achieve the tones I require the bleach and toner need to be diluted to the same strength as I use for WT MG1V. (Very weak)

It floats to the top in the washer but not as buoyant as Art300.
    The finished air dried and pressed prints have a texture that is similar but not the same as MG1V, it's ok though. :-)

So far i'm very happy with the results, MG Classic will be my standard paper in the future.
    J.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format

New black and white fibre-based papers from Ilford

The only thing I am slightly worried about is over toning. MGIV responds fine to selenium for my tastes, much more so than MCC-110. Most people say MGIV doesn't respond much and MCC 110 not at all but I beg to differ. At 1+19 in KRST I have to stop MGIV at 4 minutes as 5 becomes too eggplant purple for my tastes. Maybe I'll have to stop at two minutes or dilute more for Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To those who are looking for a cold tone developer: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/36173-...loper-1-Gallon

Much less expensive than Edwal Ultra Black, and may be a good alternative for you.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To those who are looking for a cold tone developer: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/36173-...loper-1-Gallon

Much less expensive than Edwal Ultra Black, and may be a good alternative for you.
    I have wondered about this developer. I think Freestyle sells it with an Arista label, too.

How's the tray life? Have you tried it on MGWT?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin