Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,410   Online: 1046

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I have wondered about this developer. I think Freestyle sells it with an Arista label, too.

How's the tray life? Have you tried it on MGWT?
    I haven't tried the developer. Just pointing out that it exists.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim Rudman updated his newsletter today to include more information about the new Ilford papers, and some examples on MG Classic.

He also added a footnote about a possible production problem ....

http://www.timrudman.com/newsletters...ewsletter-2013

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Looks like BH has it in stock now! Freestyle has some sizes in stock. I always like to support Freestyle but when they sell the 100 sheet box of 8X10 for $112.99 while BH has it for $93.99 it's kind of hard. About 19 cents more a sheet.

Anyways looks like it may be a great paper and I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I love using Ilford papers as I'm typically confident that once I like one I can easily obtain it for a fairly long time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm planning on making my purchase in January, probably of both new products. I've got just too much drymounting to get caught up on over
    the holidays to do much new printing - want to get it done before the rainy season, while the humidity is still low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    Looks like BH has it in stock now! Freestyle has some sizes in stock. I always like to support Freestyle but when they sell the 100 sheet box of 8X10 for $112.99 while BH has it for $93.99 it's kind of hard. About 19 cents more a sheet.

Anyways looks like it may be a great paper and I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I love using Ilford papers as I'm typically confident that once I like one I can easily obtain it for a fairly long time.
    Plus the next ten boxes will be exactly like the one you just tried. Ilford's consistency has been remarkable for me. I can generally print the same negative on paper from a different box or even cut down from a different size with the exact same times as my reference starting print. Good stuff.

And I agree - I try to support Freestyle and do, and also B&H won't ship lots of chems. I will pay a little more for Freestyle sometimes, but some film and paper is so much cheaper from B&H they get the nod.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Well despite what I said about Freestyle's prices I happened to be in my local store (Precision Camera, Austin, TX) and bought a 100 sheet box paying more than Freestyle. Couldn't resist. They had the glossy and matte Ilford Classic in stock but they didn't have to Cool Tone yet.

I'm heading to the darkroom now to check it out!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anyone try either of these papers yet?? I got mine but will not have the chance to try them until after the holidays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was really hoping to over the next few days but the damn insane weather - B&H shipped last week but it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully tomorrow it will show up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Anyone try either of these papers yet?? I got mine but will not have the chance to try them until after the holidays.
    Hi Brian -

I gave the Coldtone a first spin last night with the Edwal. It's a lovely paper and the Edwal is indeed gorgeous and gives a VERY cold black with it. I prefer more of a curve in the midtones than a straight line so the Coldtone in Meritol I liked better for my own purposes. The Edwal blew the highlights out a little more than I prefer. (but I don't like bright whites anyway- it's just personal taste). The Meritol was perfect for me so I will probably use that with it. I just shot a roll of HP5+ for the MSA and will be using that and hopefully get more of a feel for it. I will let more of the technically minded folks speak up when they test as. I think it would produce mind-blowing results for street stuff.

All-in-all I think folks will turn out some fantastic stuff with it. I have never used Coldtone papers before, only neutral, so there is definitely going to be a learning curve for me and something I will have to spend some more time getting used to. I haven't toned with anything other than selenium with it and will hope to achieve more in the purple range.

Can't wait to see what folks will be doing with it.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I made one print on the Classic FB and found it excellent. I'll try and get a scan of something up in the next couple of days. I toned in kodak rapid selenium 1:10 for about four minutes and didn't notice a huge color shift but it did make for nicer blacks.

The shot I was printing was pushed hp5 and thus quite grainy but I found the grain to seem sharper than MGIV.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin