Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,899   Online: 936

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    and I know it sounds daft but they really do look sharper ( and they are )
    Is it sharper by design ? What changed (at a general level without giving any protected IP away) ? Alternatively what characteristics of a VC paper improve its sharpness ?

I've been striving for sharp prints by optimising every variable I can think of yet I never realised the paper played a potentially important role !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, it is 'sharper' by design. Its a new type of emulsion.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Yes, it is 'sharper' by design. Its a new type of emulsion.
    Thanks Simon. I'm looking forward to trying some out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Had an opportunity to try out the Cooltone FB, for a show on at Silverprint in London. Think I'm going to like it. Very white base and cold black tone in PQ. As I'm still missing the Forte cold paper and now Adox Vario Classic, I wanted it much, much colder. Tried it in Moersch SE6 and got the cold blue black I was after. The addition of Moersch Finisher Blue made it colder though exposure times were then increased. (Expect it is Benzotriazole.) Selenium toner at 1+20 then made it even colder at 3 minutes. Longer times started to change the colour a bit more towards purple I think though didn't keep the tests so can't remember exactly.

Relatively quick printing times and good range of tones and very good shadow detail. A quick test I did over-exposing and under-processing, as I am wont to do, to get a soft tonal range, seemed to work on an initial test but didn't pursue as only had 10 sheets to test. Haven't tried the MG Classic yet but think the Cooltone is going to be an important addition to our palette. With a choice of developers, think the depth of cool tone should be very pliable. Look forward to hearing what others think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    The addition of Moersch Finisher Blue made it colder though exposure times were then increased. (Expect it is Benzotriazole.)
    Indeed, Finisher Blue seems to be Benzotriazole plus a touch of 1-Phenyl-5-Mercaptotetrazole (PMT, PMTA), both cold-working organic antifoggants. MSDS: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/fi...her%20Blue.pdf. As an aside, I wonder how the PMTA stays active without having to be replenished throughout a printing session.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Second printing session trying out the new Coldtone and all I can say is Wow.... WOW! Took some getting used to and adjusting my eye to it, and getting a feel for it's properties. Went back to the Edwal and the results are spectacular, I have to say I was a bit aghast even. I think folks are going to love the stuff. My only regret is not getting the 100pk. Won't give me enough leeway for all my negs. Burned through 1/2 of a box of 25 learning how to adjust exposure. A lot different process then how I work with warmtone. Working on prints for the MSA will be posting my shots within a few days.

I'm not even going to try to tone it yet, I like the results of the straight print so much. I'll get to that over time. I can't wait to see what great stuff people are going to turn out with it.

Really, thanks so much to Ilford for offering a new product, it is lovely paper and new emulsion.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Here is a link to Tim Rudman's newsletter and review of these two papers:

http://www.timrudman.com/newsletters...ewsletter-2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    In which he reports:

"MG Cooltone...The air dried glossy surface is significantly more shiny than that of Classic , IV or WT."

Disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Second printing session trying out the new Coldtone...A lot different process then how I work with warmtone...
    Since you've now used both Cooltone FB and Warmtone FB, would you please tell us how the smoothness and gloss of their surfaces compare? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Since you've now used both Cooltone FB and Warmtone FB, would you please tell us how the smoothness and gloss of their surfaces compare? Thanks in advance.
    Hi Sal - I have not used the Ilford WT, just the Foma so I can't compare there. What I can say is that I use Galerie quit often and the CT is much glossier and in all actuality would prefer this in matte, but it won't stop me from using it. It's not glossy compared to an RC paper, though. The substrate of the CT is very nice but again the Galerie surface is exquisite. Galerie is pricey and I can't run through it the way I used to, but that's the only Ilford paper I've used that I can compare it too. I'm not complaining don't get me wrong, this is a very beautiful paper and I am stuck now because I am in the middle of a printing session and am almost out. If you're like me and not used to printing this cold is does take trial time. But again, I am loving the results and as soon as Freestyle opens again I will order a bunch more. Good luck with your results.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have spent about 4 hours cleaning my darkroom (actually our laundry room...) over the past few days...i have the cool paper and the edwal and i'm just about ready to go. This weekend for sure. This is incredible...thanks Ilford for doing this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shipment of MG Classic has arrived!

Hopefully I have enough chems for a testing all-nighter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin