Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,117   Online: 1207

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have fun you guys and good luck! .... I think this is going to be a very special paper.

Sal, I was mulling over (while printing my last sheet) that the closest I can compare it to would be the Slavich Unibrom 160 without the finish. I mourn the loss of not be able to get that anymore here in the states and bought 7 boxes to stock. I will pull out a couple sheets of my stash and run the same shot through and see how they compare side by side. And I LOVE that paper!

I did a few runs with filters and without and I have to say I prefer the look straight. But of course, that's a personal preference.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahhh... Kentmere Bromide?

Whiter/brighter and a tad heavier.... I like it much better.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Have fun you guys and good luck! .... I think this is going to be a very special paper.

Sal, I was mulling over (while printing my last sheet) that the closest I can compare it to would be the Slavich Unibrom 160 without the finish. I mourn the loss of not be able to get that anymore here in the states and bought 7 boxes to stock. I will pull out a couple sheets of my stash and run the same shot through and see how they compare side by side. And I LOVE that paper!

I did a few runs with filters and without and I have to say I prefer the look straight. But of course, that's a personal preference.
    You can get Unibrom from here: http://www.laserreflections.com/Unibrom.html

She orders it a few times a year and you just have to let her know ahead of time and be patient. Really good customer service.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Shipment of MG Classic has arrived!

Hopefully I have enough chems for a testing all-nighter
    Have fun Michael! Please keep us posted!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My goodness! And the characteristic curves for MGIV classic show no mid-tone compression even at grade 00.

I will be ordering this pronto and testing over the holidays. Happy holidays to me!!!!!
    For several years I have been using Galerie. I like the natural white paper base, overall emulsion tone and surface finish. It's different in a good way than other paper.

I too noticed MGIV was at a slight disadvantage separating mid tones vs Galerie. Also, MGIV appeared less sharp. The photo arts will be poorer if Harman stopped producing Galerie. Hopefully this new paper can close the gap with the best graded paper left standing.

I read Classic's emulsion is slightly warmer than the paper it replaces. That would suit me for a neutral paper.

I'm not sure if this was addresses but a reduced wash time may indicate the paper lacks something......don't papers acceptable for bromoil or hand coloring lack a supercoat? Is it possible the emulation does not have hardener added?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-24-2013 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am planning on ordering a box to try out very soon! The only other paper I truly like outside of Ilford ART300 for exhibition quality work is the Adox Variotone Warmtone and the Adox MCC. I'm looking to add the Cooltone to my repertoire as soon as I can try it and see what I can make of it!
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...What I can say is that I use Galerie quit often and the CT is much glossier and in all actuality would prefer this in matte, but it won't stop me from using it. It's not glossy compared to an RC paper, though. The substrate of the CT is very nice but again the Galerie surface is exquisite...
    Thanks again Varya. That's the perfect frame of reference, since Galerie is my primary paper and I agree 100% with your assessment of how exquisite its surface is. On a slight tangent, if you'd like the most perfectly neutral print achievable, develop Galerie for 3 minutes in Moersch SE6 1+15 at 68 degrees (or equivalent time at a different temperature), then tone it in KRST 1+20 for 4 minutes at 75 degrees F.

...I was mulling over (while printing my last sheet) that the closest I can compare it to would be the Slavich Unibrom 160 without the finish...
    Thanks for that extra effort. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Slavich paper, but your first comparison with Galerie was exactly what was needed. I'm not sure I'll even try the Cooltone FB since its surface is so shiny. I might give Classic FB a go in Moersch SE6, since it's reported to have the same surface gloss as MGIV FB. However, Rudman says it's warmer than MGIV FB, so even SE6 + selenium might not neutralize it sufficiently without going purple. We shall see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sal, the sheen of MG Classic looks (to me) like MGIV. So far I've developed it in Dektol and Moersch SE3 for comparison with MGIV. Haven't had a chance to compare with Galerie yet. After I do selenium at various dilutions I can send you the SE3 swatches if you are interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just held the Coldtone up against the Galerie and it is only SLIGHTLY shinier. Don't let that sway your decision. Nothing compares to Galerie, however, and I would never give that up or the Slavich for it's cold matte finish. I am haplessly hanging on the the last of the graded papers. I always tone it in KRST 1+4 2m. Haven't tried the SE6 but as soon as I get more paper I'm going to run it through the MT7 for the blue. I'm sure I'll get a different blue but pair that up with ultra black of Edwal it may end up similar. I don't use the MGlV so I can't make a comparison.

Chris - Most of my stuff is soft focus but I think your street stuff (sharp focus) will lend itself really well to this paper. I know you'll produce some stunning prints with it based on what I've seen of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    You can get Unibrom from here: http://www.laserreflections.com/Unibrom.html

She orders it a few times a year and you just have to let her know ahead of time and be patient. Really good customer service.
    Bookmarked. Thanks, pstake. I have a frig full of the #2 just for my sci-fi project but if I should ever run out I'll have a source now. Appreciate it!

And, yes, Michael please keep us posted. I can't wait for the results to start pouring in..... off to stuff the Christmas goose.

CHEERS everyone!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sal, the sheen of MG Classic looks (to me) like MGIV. So far I've developed it in Dektol and Moersch SE3 for comparison with MGIV. Haven't had a chance to compare with Galerie yet. After I do selenium at various dilutions I can send you the SE3 swatches if you are interested.
    Thanks Michael. I've a busy period coming up, so might not get to trying these new papers for a while, but hold off sending swatches. You've already incurred enough international postage expense.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin