Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,204   Online: 852

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    And I'm obviously just speculating at this point too, since I'm still waiting for my boxes of new paper. But Ilford is a class act, and I really doubt
    they're running on a bluff, and am ordering large boxes of paper right from the word go. Of course, I'll fiddle with this developer and that, and
    experiment with different toning regimens, just like with any unfamiliar paper... and just like having fun during any other darkroom session. So I have no reason to suspect any kind of gimmick. Some of their products I like more than others, but I can't think of a single one of them I'd call substandard. And so far, this sounds just like what the doctor ordered.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on that....will try some for the next postcard exchange, though Galerie remains my favourite Ilford paper at the moment.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post

As far as selenium toning goes, indeed the new paper exhibits a greater change in colour than MGIV. Not so much with high dilutions, but at 1+10 or stronger it is significant. [snip]
    Michael, I don't know if you've seen post #12 in this thread by Alan Ross, but it seems he has come to the same conclusion regarding dilution of the toner (i.e., 3' in 1+10 for MGIV; 3' in 1+20 for Classic). Also when I looked at his website to see his workflow for producing the Yosemite Special Edition prints from Ansel's negatives, he states here that he's diluting the toner with a hypo clearing agent, as you are as well. Obviously, his throughput is such that he's not concerned that doing this makes his toner a one-shot.

In his feedback to Ilford after testing the Classic, he said:
    "The toning test was impressive - at 1:23 even a print immersed for 1 minute showed a noticeable change in image color, but my favorite is in the 4' range. A color I could never get with MGIV FB."
    Last edited by silveror0; 12-27-2013 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I came to the practical conclusion, along with numerous others, that the presence of a wash aid in selenium toner is utterly redundant, and if it weren't for Ansel's personal tradition with respect to it, would have been a custom abandoned long ago. There are probably some past threads
    explaining this. Plain water works just fine and seems to produce identical results at comparable dilution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drew, I might even take it a (dangerous) step further and wonder how many people would even use selenium at all if Adams hadn't

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use various toners, including selenium and gold, to fine-tune image density and color. I get pretty nitpicky about that, though I never lean on
    toning heavily in an artsy-craftsy sense. Less is more. Archival properties are an added benefit, I guess. But my shpmt of the new paper just arrived, so the next time you hear from me, after the holidays, I might actually know what I'm talking about!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew, I might even take it a (dangerous) step further and wonder how many people would even use selenium at all if Adams hadn't
    +1
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Come, come, Michael. The DMax and colour after Se is enchanting enough to be noticeable to most. I'm sure it'd have been popular either way.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format

New black and white fibre-based papers from Ilford

Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Come, come, Michael. The DMax and colour after Se is enchanting enough to be noticeable to most. I'm sure it'd have been popular either way.
    +1. Once you see a print after even light selenium toning you will ever after notice (and almost certainly dislike) the faint olive tinge of most papers. Virtually every finished print I make is now toned, either se or brown, to at least a small extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    This is very good news indeed, shows that Harman have confidence in the future of silver printing, and according to the newsletter I have just recieved from Silverprint the prices of both new papers are the same as the MGIVFB paper, both the Cooltone and classic paper is the same, which is even better news
    Couldn't have said it better! Looking forward to try some out! Thanks Ilford for continued innovation
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin