Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,075   Online: 790

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've noticed several comments on this thread and others that MGIV is/was not so good for toning. Even heard Ilford suggest the same in comparison to the new Classic. Really don't see this myself. I've always found it to be one of the most versatile papers in thio with a colour range from purple, chocolate brown to very warm yellow brown and everything in between. I always use a bleach stronger than I would use on most papers but the level of variable bleaching is very pliable and can really give a good split with the un-bleached shadows appearing cold in comparison to the toned highlights. Especially with the Matt surface which comes to life in thio. (Gold after thio takes the colour range to another level!) Likewise with selenium; while it doesn't shift to a reddish purple, it certainly does change to colder and more purple blacks. As long as the Classic will work in similar terms, I'll be happy.

Thinking about it, I did take part in initial field tests of Classic a while back, though didn't know what it was then, and it seemed very good but will have to wait till I try the latest, released version to get an opinion. Looking forward to doing more with the Cooltone soon though.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Plus 1 , I love MG4 matt or gloss when toned. no complaints whatsoever, my complete project of solarized images are printed on Mg4 matt.

QUOTE=Mike Crawford;1588169]I've noticed several comments on this thread and others that MGIV is/was not so good for toning. Even heard Ilford suggest the same in comparison to the new Classic. Really don't see this myself. I've always found it to be one of the most versatile papers in thio with a colour range from purple, chocolate brown to very warm yellow brown and everything in between. I always use a bleach stronger than I would use on most papers but the level of variable bleaching is very pliable and can really give a good split with the un-bleached shadows appearing cold in comparison to the toned highlights. Especially with the Matt surface which comes to life in thio. (Gold after thio takes the colour range to another level!) Likewise with selenium; while it doesn't shift to a reddish purple, it certainly does change to colder and more purple blacks. As long as the Classic will work in similar terms, I'll be happy.

Thinking about it, I did take part in initial field tests of Classic a while back, though didn't know what it was then, and it seemed very good but will have to wait till I try the latest, released version to get an opinion. Looking forward to doing more with the Cooltone soon though.[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I wonder if the new Classic emulsion will be offered in RC, and the RC Cooltone expanded to larger sizes?
    MGRCCT used to be available in larger sizes - I still have some 16x20 glossy on hand - but Harman cut back because of lack of demand. Perhaps the arrival of MGFBCT will lead to renewed demand for larger sizes of the RC as well - I'd like to see them bring back at least 16x20 in glossy surface.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like 16x20 pearl. I dislike RC glossy except for contact sheets but find pearl the closest to a FB glossy-dried-matte as we used to call it (to distinguish from ferrotyped FB glossy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    +1. Once you see a print after even light selenium toning you will ever after notice (and almost certainly dislike) the faint olive tinge of most papers. Virtually every finished print I make is now toned, either se or brown, to at least a small extent.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +2
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too will mourn the passing of MG-IV FB, but at the same time I am looking forward to using the new MG-Classic FB.

One thing that will be good for lovers of MG-IV FB, is that dealers may sell off existing stocks of it at lower prices to start selling the new papers more quickly.

I do like a bargain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Ralph,

We dont want to loose you !............

MGIV was a great product, so surely to launch a new product means that our product developers and technical services are confident that it is a better product, which of course we are.

As always, change can be challenging, but nobody ever asked us for MGIII after MGIV was launched.

I have printed with the new paper(s) and really like them, especially the COOLTONE as I prefer cooler images to warmer ones, but remember I'm really a graded guy and on FB usually only ever print with ILFOBROM GALERIE.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Long live GALERIE!

Over thirty years ago, the late writer, David Vestal, was appreciative of Ilford stepping up with this great paper to answer photographers paper concerns. Vestal lead the polling request for manufacturers to formulate the best paper.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-02-2014 at 10:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Galerie is the best paper by far (new MG papers on the way soon) that I've printed with, so sharp, and great tonality. Adox MCC 110 was much better than MGIV - not sharp and I suspect the curve of my negatives is not well matched; but it will be interesting to compare to the Classic paper. Most excited about the 'Cooltone' product as this is a unique offering. I'd still be surprised if anything can beat ILFOBROM GALERIE.

Any chance of the Harman cool tone developer coming back, surely more rational than Pan F+ in 5"x4" ... ?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would die if Galerie went away. I am just remorse that the new Coldtone doesn't have the same finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    surely more rational than Pan F+ in 5"x4" ... ?

Tom
    Really? That would be cool.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin