Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,213   Online: 874

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems like the way you're doing it (with filters) will give you the most flexibility with the new paper. Interesting how different the new paper is. It is somewhat unique in its long toe/shoulder gradation.

Edit: More "analysis" in the other thread which I'll keep updating. Don't want to pull this thread too far off topic.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 01-03-2014 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, this is a bummer. I had fresh MG developer, Wash Aid and 25 sheets of 8x10" of this paper arriving today, but UPS pulled it because the box was leaking. So much for this weekend's try-out.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My sequence is selenium tone , hypo clear five minutes, wash 1/2 hour - 1 hour.

Or 1 hour minimum without hypo clear.

I am very hesitant to reduce these times by 50%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My sequence is selenium tone , hypo clear five minutes, wash 1/2 hour - 1 hour.

Or 1 hour minimum without hypo clear.

I am very hesitant to reduce these times by 50%.
    That is pretty much inline with my process and I would be cautious about a reduction from those timings as well.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd be inclined to stick with Ilford's recommended washing times. Art 300 is problematical if over-washed. I'd imagine the new papers might be as well. Why would Ilford recommend times that resulted in inferior prints? Doesn't make sense to me.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the fast speed and reported improvement in sharpness, it sure looks like FB Classic Glossy will be my defacto 20x24 paper, just ordered a 50 sheet box of it in that size along with a pack of 25 sheets of 8x10 for test strips.

I also took a look around B&H to see what they in terms of sizes....wow Simon, 30x40-50 sheet boxes, 42" x 98' and 56" x 98' rolls, fantastic work guys!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF

Cooltone initial impressions

I have had 2 sessions with the cooltone fiber and thought i'd pass along my impressions so far.

I approached with worry - the standard was the old Forte Polygrade which no manufacturer would want to compete with - it was superb. Could Ilford do it? Well it is Ilford - a great company - could they pull this off?

I used Edwal ultra black 1:7. Blacks are incredibly deep and cold - not blue black but black hole kind of black. Deep rich beautiful. The paper prints fast. I did 5 images and the core exposure is below 20 seconds at f11/16 on all and below 10 sec at f16 on 2 of them. If your image is super contrasty you won't have enough time to dodge - you will need to print light and burn later. Overall only a challenge in 1 of the images - that pic is so contrasty i will scan and work it digitally in lightroom.

Results were outstanding. Paper lights up with luminence - very different than mgiv which i always thought was a bit dull on the highlights. Compared to Forte they are both great but i may give edge to ilford - the highlights just really come through with this new paper. I never thought i'd see anything better than Forte - well i can't say that yet but so far it may very well be true. It definitely has that same ability to produce deep rich prints - you can get a bit carried away with this -in the 2nd session i lightened things up a bit.

Surface is a bit glossier than normal fiber glossy - still looks and feels like fiber (not rc) but a touch glossier. Probably done to match cool images - not sure. I like it. Note i have the impression the paper curls more aggressively in drying than others i have used - not scientific - but curl is strong.

I haven't toned yet with selenium - hopefully will experiment next weekend - would appreciate your input re dilution and timings.

After all the gloom and doom we may be in a golden age - Adox 110 is great, i love this new Ilford Cooltone fiber, and of course Ilford warm and now the new neutral paper which may fix the dull highlight issue with mgiv. Really - amazing choices ans quality.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm sitting here watching the football game and thought of a few more things to comment on re the Cooltone Fiber ...once again these impressions are not tested or scientific, they are just impressions after 2 printing sessions-

Dry down - so far on my images i don't see much if any drydown effect.

Sharpness - the prints are sharp but i do not see any difference vs. prints on other papers. I use a Dichro colorhead which gives a very smooth image but of course won't match a condenser for sharpness

Contrast - i started at grade 2 and never had a reason to increase contrast. 1 of the 5 images i might try again with more, or maybe not. Technically it might be the right thing to do but the print works confined a bit in the grays. The others have great blacks, whites, grays at grade 2.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for those Hans. Interesting stuff. It's obviously made a big impression on you. I've been trying both cooltone and classic and will post my initial impressions on my blog sometime this week. Like your report, not scientific but some early thoughts. It takes a while to get to know a paper and I only had four sheets of each to play with.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've already posted my initial impressions on a different thread. I don't know about this "sharpness" debate. Since I've been printing mostly
    8x10 negs there's a surplus of detail anyway. But the perception of sharpness might simply be due to the fact that highlight and shadow detail is rendered better than with MGIV, for example. I wouldn't balk about what two darkroom sessions can tell a person, if they've had sufficient experience in general with VC papers. A little hands-on time can tell a person a great deal indeed, or conversely, in the hands of a klutz, send all kinds of derogatory nonsense far and wide with the help of the Web. So with that disclaimer, I'll will give my initial impression that this is a damn good paper - a little bit unlike other VC papers, but genuinely cool toned - and it's going to be a welcome addition to my arsenal.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin