Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,121   Online: 935

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1216171819202122

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently tried the FB classic and found it to be a wonderful paper. Blacks seemed deeper and the prints had an overall sparkle that I never got from other fiber papers (Adox and Kentmere.) I am however a little confused at the wash times. Ilford claims this paper needs less wash then previous fiber papers which is a good thing as we are in a drought here in CA but the data paper just lists Ilford products. I'm using a Freestyle branded fix at 1+9 dilution and I only hypo wash for five minutes following a five minute rinse. I guess the shorter wash time is only when a 1+4 dilution or stronger is used for shorter fixing times.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok I FINALLY got around to trying both Ilford Classic and Cooltone FB glossy papers. Here are my thoughts:

Ilford Classic: I printed a negative I had previously printed on MGIV FB for comparison. I found Classic just a bit faster than MGIV. I developed in Dokumol 1:6 for 2 minutes. Image appeared strongly at 30 second mark. Paper feels a bit thinner when wet than MGIV, no big deal. Out of fixer the image tone is nice, slightly cool. The paper base is a nice bright white. I toned in selenium and gave the 4 prints the following selenium toning times: Kodak RST at 1:9 for 6 minutes, 3 minutes, and 1:19 for 5 minutes, and 2.5 minutes. Here are my observations of the dried prints.

The gloss finish of Classic is just a bit shinier than MGIV, more like MGWT. I personally really like it. The paper base appears the same white as MGIV. The previous print I had made on MGIV was developed in LPD 1:2 and selenium toned for 8 minutes at 1:9. It has a wonderful cold blue black color. I was not able to achieve this color with Classic and Dokomul, which is a colder developer than LPD (though maybe not, I'll have to run tests with Classic in LPD next). At the 1:9 dilution in KRST Classic tones very fast, neutralizing the slight green tone in about 45 seconds and then rapidly moving toward a cool purple at the 3-4 minute mark. I had more luck producing a neutral/cool tone with the 1:19 dilution. 5 minutes at this dilution produces a very subtle split tone. Beautiful! The low values were ever so slightly cool purple and the mids and high values remained neutral. I could never have achieved this with MGIV!

So my conclusion on Classic so far is that it is great paper! Hopefully I will be able to achieve cold blue blacks with it when I either find the right developer (though no developers much colder than Dokumol except maybe SE6 and that is $$$) or resorting to bleach and redevelopment with copper sulfate bleach and a metol redeveloper with selenium toning. Next is to try sepia tone with thio developers. MGIV was terrible for that! Had much better luck with indirect sulfide toning with Viradon on MGIV.

ANYWAY, onto Cooltone: I developed it in Eukobrom. I will try in Dokumol next time. I was not impressed with the cooltone, not in Eukobrom anyway. Image color seemed neutral until a dunk in selenium and it goes plummy brown. Maybe I just need to work with it more. Surface gloss seems similar to classic, maybe a bit shinier. I was hoping the cool tone would go to a cold blue black when selenium toned but was dissapointed that it did not. So far I prefer Classic.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've been developing Cooltone in amidol, then gold toning it. This gives a rich true cold black to slightly blue-black if toned long enough. Selenium will give it a tad of warmth, but also significantly deepens the DMax. It also split tones nicely if desired. But otherwise, the color is consistent. The only chuckhole in the road is that the recent batch of amidol from Formulary is quite strange - it goes into a deep orange color in solution, which I've never seen before. This washes out of the print completely; but it takes awhile. I have yet to call them and ask about it. I haven't tried Classic yet, since my strategy so far has been aim for either cold black images or leapfrog right over to MGWT for the greatest flexibility in toning, for images appropriate to that regimen. But Classic is now stocked locally, so I can casually pick it up anytime I want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    ANYWAY, onto Cooltone: I developed it in Eukobrom. I will try in Dokumol next time. I was not impressed with the cooltone, not in Eukobrom anyway. Image color seemed neutral until a dunk in selenium and it goes plummy brown. Maybe I just need to work with it more. Surface gloss seems similar to classic, maybe a bit shinier. I was hoping the cool tone would go to a cold blue black when selenium toned but was dissapointed that it did not. So far I prefer Classic.
    Hi Brian

Haven't tried the Cooltone in either of Tetenal developers and felt the same as you when using it in PQ. Wasn't as cold as I was hoping for. However, Moersch SE6, especially with the addition of Finisher Blue gave very good cool, blue black. Just wish both new papers were not so responsive in Selenium. I knew where I was with my 1:20 and how long the desired effect took!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Hi Brian

Haven't tried the Cooltone in either of Tetenal developers and felt the same as you when using it in PQ. Wasn't as cold as I was hoping for. However, Moersch SE6, especially with the addition of Finisher Blue gave very good cool, blue black. Just wish both new papers were not so responsive in Selenium. I knew where I was with my 1:20 and how long the desired effect took!
    I would be intrigued to know Harman's thoughts on the Cooltone paper, as without the Harman Cooltone developer achieving blue-blacks without going the WT paper and gold toner route seems somewhat mute.

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I would be intrigued to know Harman's thoughts on the Cooltone paper, as without the Harman Cooltone developer achieving blue-blacks without going the WT paper and gold toner route seems somewhat mute.

Tom
    Tom, we do know Simon has already shot down the possibility of CT developer returning (a real shame). I plan to try both good toning and bleach and redevelopment with a copper bleach and Metol developer, on the new classic paper, the paper I'm more impressed with. It does seem to respond more to toners than MGIV. I will keep everyone updated when I find the time to run these tests. As I stated earlier in this thread classic does not go cold charcoal bluish in selenium like MGIV did, however classic does tone beautifully in more dilute selenium in its own way. But I am still after cold blue blacks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    But I am still after cold blue blacks.
    This does seem to be a dead end at the moment.

Tom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin