Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,411   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

New black and white fibre-based papers from Ilford

Ilford has announced two new papers but the information is embargoed until 1 p.m. GMT today. I'll be publishing the news on my website at that time:

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has been on Facebook for a couple of hours.

Bloody brilliant news about the Cooltone FB!
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=174

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome awesome awesome news! Yay!

I've been clamoring for a true cool tone paper in FB. Now if only it is available in 16x20, which the RC version is not, we'll be set with warm, neutral and cool papers from Ilford.

I am getting SO tempted to go 100% Ilford just because of their support of us, not to mention the quality of their products. I'd miss Across, Tri-X, TMY-2 and MCC 110, but aside from also wanting to support Adox I'm not sure what the latter would offer that I couldn't get with Ilford papers. I'm seriously thinking of going 100% Ilford at least in the darkroom, with a few other films thrown in. (I like the response of Tri-X in Diafine too much to go to HP-5 but I might ought to reconsider that too. That was based on older Tri-X which got a reliable 1600. Now I only get that in daylight where it isn't really needed. It's more like 800-1000 under tungsten light ... maybe I should compare to HP5 in similar light, hummm.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Has been on Facebook for a couple of hours.

Bloody brilliant news about the Cooltone FB!
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=174
    NEWSFLASH: Ilford broke their own embargo! You can't trust anyone these days…
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, Ilford!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. The speed difference for the higher grade filters is much closer to the speed at the lower grade filters. That's been an annoyance with my Zonemaster II because it calculates the exposure at filter 3.5 by averaging the exposures from filters 3 and 4. The actual exposure for filter 3.5 is much closer to 3. With these papers having a much smaller difference, that interpolation might become much more accurate. As it is, I usually just use the exposure value measures at filter 3 for exposures made through a 3.5 filter.

So... Who is going to be the first to calibrate their Zonemaster for the new papers and publish the results for us lazy bastards to copy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just from looking at the data sheets, the Dmax doesn't look much different from the original MGIV. Whatever they do to get the nice Dmax of MGWT, I wish they could do the same for their neutral toned papers. Maybe they are referring to the Dmax being higher after toning since the new papers apparently tone much more readily than the old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The curve for the lower contrast grades looks straighter on the new than the old. If so, I consider that a significant improvement all by itself. I'd like to know the details of how that was accomplished. I thought the wavy shape was unavoidable for a triple emulsion VC paper.
    Last edited by Dave Krueger; 12-04-2013 at 07:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Changed waving to wavy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mmmm!

I think I will hold back on the "whoop, whooping" Ilford Mg4 is such a beautiful paper and I will be sad to see it go. I actually like the fact that it doesn't go crazy in selenium, unlike the Warmtone, which I have never been able to tame. I have also spent many, many hours 'learning' MG4, and finally found a tone in the paper that I loved after many years of printing, and that no other paper could give me. I shall be wearing a black arm band for the rest of the week.

All that said, I do hope that I will be eating my words when I get round to testing the new paper.

Stoo

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin