Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,063   Online: 1125

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    use plastic basin with water for tempering and wollen top over blouse

hypo eliminator and minimum water wash

when the ice melts you will be sorry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I have read through this thread :

Firstly : NO I cannot imagine a world without Tri-X, from the outset, its a great film, always was, still is, but I am partisan obviously so I love HP5+ more...which I do.

Second : KODAK has a history of photo manufacturing second to none, with amazing technical developments and some great people, some of them I have had the pleasure to meet, eg people like Ron Mowrey.

In the thread there were lots of 'what ifs' and then references to ourselves.

So a few answers... yes... we could make the whole world demand for monochrome, paper and film.. our coating machine is much smaller than one of KODAKs, but it is still very, very, big 400m long ( in two 200m lengths folded back on itself and it of course coats on all substrates and so is very flexible but it can still coat at 200m2 a minute ( thats about 3,500 36 exposure films each minute if you are interested ).

Raw materials : Yes, the photo industry has undergone huge change, lots of industries have and you have to adapt, chemicals are not usually an issue, we have developed our own in house Kilo Lab where we can synthesise or manufacture the chemicals ( down to Kilo quantities, as the name suggests ) that we need but can no longer source in the quantity required or the price we desire, its why we have R&D and why we have Chemistry PHD's to develop, test, approve or manufacture these products.

Yes, you face challenges like cassettes, you solve it by purchasing the machines and making your own and now we make better cassettes than we were getting before ( so less waste etc ).

But some of the comments were a bit off the mark such as the what if's about KODAK, from a USA perspective obviously KODAK was a giant and an Icon ( and deservedly so ) and obviously in Colour products a laviathon, but in the much smaller world of monochrome, and specifically mono paper we outsold KODAK many times over, even in the heydays of the 80's and 90's and yes, even in the USA, and so the premise that we bought raw materials 'on the back of' KODAK etc, was a little wide of the mark, although we undoubtedly did, and do source from the same organisations.

But lets look at our own Marketing philosophy, photography and the artisanship of printing requiries choices for photographers and printers, we endeavour to offer choices in our own offerings and we make more mono products and have a range wider than virtually all the other mono manufacturers put together, we rejoice in the fact other makers are still supplying, it helps ensure the world of silver based photography goes on...

Hence...a world without Tri-X would be a place we would not like.

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well said, Simon. Thank you for sharing that.

Viva HP5+!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Well said, Simon. Thank you for sharing that.

Viva HP5+!
    Who is this Simon fellow?
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Simon works for Ilford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    You know, the things he draws come true!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Simon. Your input is always interesting...and always informative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    Much sound advice on photographing children. Mine are 2, 5, and 14 and I really only subject them to planned group shots once a year. The oldest (who also is an analog shooter!) can be easily bribed to sit with promises of film. The other two are pretty much catch as catch can. Here is a shot of my oldest:

You can probably guess this is tri-x. Was also still adjusting a bit to the change from 6x6 to 645. All that extra space!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is lovely, Ruby!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait you shot these a while ago? Or you actually took my advice? Lol
    Shot on Sunday and one today. I'm madly trying to get holiday gifts done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Space heaters. I have an electric oil filled radiator type that keeps my darkroom comfy all winter. No AC for summer though when temps even in my basement can be in the upper 70s.

I wondered about using one. I'm just worried about the room getting too dry.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin