Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,784   Online: 974

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Trash talk? Do you mean criticism? Are we to stay silent for fear the world will shun Kodak and all will be lost?

In response to your demands here are a couple of facts.

FACT: Kodak has a lot to learn from Ilford, particularly in customer care and support.

FACT: Kodak could also choose a less curly substrate to make its 120 roll films out of.

BTW this vituperous defence of Kodak does rather confirm my original assertion about many American photographers.

RR
    I'm Swedish.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FACT: Kodak could also choose a less curly substrate to make its 120 roll films out of.

RR
    Everything else aside... I was surprised by the above sentiment. I've shot hundreds of rolls of TMax 400 120 roll film (not to mention other Kodak 120 roll film) and never had any curl to my negatives.

I am currently transitioning to all Ilford films and paper based on their support, service, quality and commitment to B&W photography. That being said Kodak's current films are certainly not lacking in quality, as even their competitors have attested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Everything else aside... I was surprised by the above sentiment. I've shot hundreds of rolls of TMax 400 120 roll film (not to mention other Kodak 120 roll film) and never had any curl to my negatives.
    Me too. I'm no Kodak fanboy, heck I'm a film whore and use everything and anything but I've shot a lot of Tri-X and Tmax in 120 and never had any curl issues with either. Not with Ilford 120 either. Or eyether. ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trash talk? Do you mean criticism? Are we to stay silent for fear the world will shun Kodak and all will be lost?

FACT: Kodak has a lot to learn from Ilford, particularly in customer care and support.

BTW this vituperous defence of Kodak does rather confirm my original assertion about many American photographers.

RR
    I'm Canadian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm Canadian.
    But from Montreal.

Boo!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha! It was a pretty cool place before 1970 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RR
    I'm American. Yes Kodak does come up short compared to Ilford in customer care/communication. We're used to mega-corporations being unpredictable in this regard, but still appreciate the small/medium size business emphasis on customer care and communication.

I have no problem with curl with Kodak 120 film in TMY2/Portra 160/Ektar 100, or Ilford FP4+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Same here. I haven't really had any curl issues with 120 from anyone.
    And count me as a quietly gushy American fangirl for Ilford, though I use Kodak, too. Basically, I'll use whatever film fits in the camera in my hand at the time. But TMax100 and Tri-X are go-tos as are HP5+, SFX, Delta 100, XP2 super, and Fuji Acros. In the darkroom, it's all Ilford. And my darkroom is still in PA while I'm in IA and I'm ticked I'll have to wait awhile to use the new papers from Ilford.

As to price differences, I'd guess that tariffs and government policies may have something to do with that. Sucks, but not easy to change.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I will be glad to dispense facts about which film is best. It will be a list in order of best to less best.

I am also happy to give facts about who you should vote for and which church to attend. Just send me a pm.

In all seriousness: I heart Tri-x AND I also heart Delta 100. I'm kind of thinking this could be a movie script; a man torn between two loves on different continents, conveniently bouncing back and forth between the two depending on the season, light and time of day. I think Clooney could play me but maybe Clive Owen would be better.

Anyone have an opinion?
    Nice one...

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On my recent sojourn into B&W I've tried a few different brands - Ilford, Kodak, & Fuji (and some Rollei, which I've not quite worked out yet). I do find something I like in each, and will continue to use each. I definitely like Tri-X. However, I find I tend towards Ilford, using it the most simply because I find I like it best.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin