Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,465   Online: 1188

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    I'm with Winger...

And I dearly love tri-x. That said, I would like very much a faster film that has the feel of D100 - softer, finer grain. I've wondered about pushing D100 and then developing in, say, Microphen or Perceptol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well your midtones which are nice would be difficult D100 is ok in Microphen @Ilfords 100ISO time and temp providing you bracket or have low contrast and meter at 200ISO or less. Microphen does not do much more for D100 than ID11. Perceptol will slow it relative to ID11.

Pushing will leave difficult shadows and midtones.

Or that is what I get, never use Perceptol, I like grain, tri-x and HP5 ok films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    Gushing aside, pretty much everything i have learned since i started into film is either from APUG or Ilford's site. Though for me the Kodak connection is quite real. My family is from east TN, so I have numerous relative who worked, once upon a time, for "the Eastman." One of these days i will finagle my way onto the Eastman site and photograph my heart out. Seriously, it is a site to behold - something straight out of a 20th c sci fi flick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Small world. I'm originally from Elizabethton, TN and worked from 2001-2003 for a company contracting with Eastman (which I never called "the" Eastman, as that seems to be a Kingsport-only name.)

Anyway, hi from another TN transplant.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 12-11-2013 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    There is a natural tendency for Americans to be very loyal to the Kodak products, which can blindfold folk from seeing the advantages of choosing a manufacturer whose very reason to exist is black and white analogue photography. For black and white, Ilford makes better films, in a wider range of choices than Kodak ever did. It is with envy that I notice you can buy Ilford films in America at much lower prices than we in England have to pay. Very frustrating when it seems that generally the American photographers are oblivious to their good fortune and still continue to prefer the inferior, but home grown product.

RR
    Um...I love Ilford products BUT...

I would even agree that, during my tenure in photography at least since the early 80s, Ilford has always made better PAPERS in a wider range of choices than Kodak, and that they currently make a wider range of FILMS, I can't agree that Ilford films are "better" than Kodak's. HP5+ is (less than we let on most of the time though) different from Tri-X but I wouldn't call either better. And I like the Delta films fine but I still prefer TMX and TMY-2. Kodak makes nothing like Pan F+, FP4+ (now that Plus-X is gone, but they did in the form of Plus-X) or XP2 though.

Even in papers there were some exceptionally good Kodak ones like Ektalure and Elite, but I never liked Kodak's polycontrast offerings as much as Ilford's MG ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The great yellow father is not what he once was, but as long as building 38 cranks out Tri-X that is what I will be using.

In a world without Tri-X I'd shoot HP5+ (Ilford Tri-x), when I run out of Plus-X I'll shoot FP4.

Be thankful that we still have film, shoot what you like and be happy there are still choices.
    Tri-X in HC-110 forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Let's agree on one thing: Ilford's gummed labels taste the best.
    Personally I have always favored Fujifilim's 120 rolls due to the adhesive that they used. I cant figure out why Kodak and Ilford have not copied that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Um...I love Ilford products BUT...
    I can't agree that Ilford films are "better" than Kodak's. HP5+ is (less than we let on most of the time though) different from Tri-X but I wouldn't call either better. And I like the Delta films fine but I still prefer TMX and TMY-2. Kodak makes nothing like Pan F+, FP4+ (now that Plus-X is gone, but they did in the form of Plus-X) or XP2 though.
    well Kodak still make Double-X in 5222 quite similar to FP4 and they still make a mono C41 film like XP2 -
    BW400CN, or they did up to a few weeks ago.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Personally I have always favored Fujifilim's 120 rolls due to the adhesive that they used. I cant figure out why Kodak and Ilford have not copied that.
    Can we not stick to the topic?

Shooter
    35mm
    The BW400CN is not functionally equivalent to XP2+. The Kodak film has an orange mask intended for machine enprints on colour RA4-paper while the Ilford film is just a dye image on plain filmbase - much more practical for black-and-white darkroom work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay...two rolls of the D3200 scanned and will develop the tri-x tonight. I must say, I am delighted with the D3200 -- shot at 1600, 9:24 in DD-X (my darkroom and chemicals are 18C).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D3200 is really nice. In medium format it's just wonderful for portraits. Nice work!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin