Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,901   Online: 1041

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1317181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    In summary, in a world without tri-x we will all use hp5+ to document our minty prostate exams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    SO I suppose you could say... in a world without Tri-X I would use Eastman Double-X!!
    I am avid user of DXN, I hope it will be still around in 10 years. Excellent material.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    I am avid user of DXN, I hope it will be still around in 10 years. Excellent material.
    So was APX400 and it is still obtainable but you got a copy of Grimms fairy tails?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    What have I said about encouraging trolls...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    But not until the FDA considers it safe. I might do an HP-5+ little love affair again, I think. If for nothing else than just to prove to myself that good pictures come from the places Mr. Karsh mentions, the heart and the mind.

Anyway, sorry to contribute to derailing this thread. I'm glad Tri-X and HP5+ are both out there. Beautiful films that are so good that if you can't make good photographs with them, well, it's not going to be because of the film...
    Exactly. In a world without Tri-X, if it should happen and perish the thought but if it DID, move to HP5+ if you currently use Tri-X and keep going.

If you can't make good photographs with one, you won't be able to with the other, and conversely if you CAN. They're not identical but they're both excellent and, frankly, the differences between them pale when considering what makes or breaks a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    So was APX400 and it is still obtainable but you got a copy of Grimms fairy tails?
    Why would I need copies of Grimms Brothers tails ? Still have my own... Or do you mean "Grimm's Fairy Tales" ? Well, not on microfilm, or DXN for that matter. APX400 I haven't seen in years in this part of the world.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Why would I need copies of Grimms Brothers tails ? Still have my own... Or do you mean "Grimm's Fairy Tales" ? Well, not on microfilm, or DXN for that matter. APX400 I haven't seen in years in this part of the world.
    Two points

Our largest pharmacy group with a shop on every high street almost. Has had a buy two get same or cheaper free, colour and HP5, XP2, BW400CN. Not seen Trix yet. After a year or more they changed to buy one get same or cheaper half price. Local airport only had BW400CN in duty free and colour.

Bought last month ten of expired Trix 135 from street market stall cheap they had got them cheap from postal sales group cause they were expired.

Think this means that it is not selling as well as HP5, ..., BW400CN.

At some point Kodak terminate films that they have not enough profit margin on, like Plus-x, 3200, etc., they have soul less accountants controlling production not me or you.

Stock up now, or believe in fairy tales...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    It was derailed at the onset. What's there to say about Tri-X? It's great stuff, no discussion needed. Made for Microdol-X 1:3 in 35mm. Or D-76 1:1 if you want to pour some grain on it. Tri-X is legendary stuff. Nothing else like it.

its made for pretty much anything you want to put it in.
    mine likes a strong brew of caffenol c

At some point Kodak terminate films that they have not enough profit margin on, like Plus-x, 3200, etc., they have soul less accountants controlling production not me or you.

they have done this for decades, it is not something new ( even when the market was booming ),
    it has nothing to do with soul less accountants controlling production ..
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-13-2013 at 10:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Stock up now, or believe in fairy tales...
    Well, profit is everything. And I agree, Kodak way of doing things is too costly, they not likely to survive proper downsizing. They still don't have proper marketing and, if after so long they still didn't get the idea, it doesn't look good.

Shooter
    127 Format
    It seems like this thread is about Tri X once again.

I have finally admitted to myself that I just don't like Tri-X

I know it has been the sh-- since the 1970s and it is almost a religious icon. I mean who could publicly admit that they don't like Tri-X?

I absolutely adored Plus-x and in the recent years with my return to only film photography I just had to buy more Tri-X. And when Freestyle announced the demise of Arista Premium 400, I rushed to get another 20 rolls just for insurance. Because that's what everybody likes.

But I never have been able to get the look I like from it. Even looking at most people's postings of Tri-X photos they have the look that I get but don't like.

I love Fuji Neopan 400 and even Fomapan 400 so I have those. But I haven't even tried HP5 or Delta or even T-Max 400 yet.

So, for once, if a popular film was killed off (Tri-x) I would not be sad. I will laugh and chuckle and go get some HP5.

And in a year or two, maybe I could sell off my little stash to the more appreciative.
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin