Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,122   Online: 1086

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may have to spend time in jail for your remarks, you know...

Tri-X is God.

Just kidding. Use what makes you happy!

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It seems like this thread is about Tri X once again.

I have finally admitted to myself that I just don't like Tri-X

I know it has been the sh-- since the 1970s and it is almost a religious icon. I mean who could publicly admit that they don't like Tri-X?

I absolutely adored Plus-x and in the recent years with my return to only film photography I just had to buy more Tri-X. And when Freestyle announced the demise of Arista Premium 400, I rushed to get another 20 rolls just for insurance. Because that's what everybody likes.

But I never have been able to get the look I like from it. Even looking at most people's postings of Tri-X photos they have the look that I get but don't like.

I love Fuji Neopan 400 and even Fomapan 400 so I have those. But I haven't even tried HP5 or Delta or even T-Max 400 yet.

So, for once, if a popular film was killed off (Tri-x) I would not be sad. I will laugh and chuckle and go get some HP5.

And in a year or two, maybe I could sell off my little stash to the more appreciative.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I know it has been the sh-- since the 1970s and it is almost a religious icon. I mean who could publicly admit that they don't like Tri-X?

I absolutely adored Plus-x and in the recent years with my return to only film photography I just had to buy more Tri-X. And when Freestyle announced the demise of Arista Premium 400, I rushed to get another 20 rolls just for insurance. Because that's what everybody likes.

But I never have been able to get the look I like from it. Even looking at most people's postings of Tri-X photos they have the look that I get but don't like.

I love Fuji Neopan 400 and even Fomapan 400 so I have those. But I haven't even tried HP5 or Delta or even T-Max 400 yet.

So, for once, if a popular film was killed off (Tri-x) I would not be sad. I will laugh and chuckle and go get some HP5.

And in a year or two, maybe I could sell off my little stash to the more appreciative.
    Oh Neopan.... I only used it a short while and it's one of my favorites! Shot at 800 and souped in Rodinal... Oh just awesome!

I only wish I could have stocked up on 120 but sadly I've only got the 35mm stuff... There's nothing like it anywhere...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    blah blah blah blah blah. film film film film whatever.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    127 Format
    It's why we are here. Plenty of places to be if you don't want to hear about film. Plenty...
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's why we are here. Plenty of places to be if you don't want to hear about film. Plenty...
    I think Chris means just use what's available to you. If there's no Tri-X, move on to something else. Anyone who has done this for a few decades should be used to adapting to new materials by now. Things come and go...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    blah blah blah blah blah. film film film film whatever.
    I do agree with Chris. When I look back at the pictures I made over the years, I don't exactly think about film choice. I just look at prints, old and new, wondering how I could make a better print. All films are good enough, your skill matters much more and it truly is what you do with it that has by far the greatest effect on the outcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OMG that must be heresy!!

Ah well, I don't use very much of it myself either. I am sure it is very good film, that many peeples can't be wrong. But if I do need fast I want a film that won't feel too limited. I like my Delta 3200.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    they have done this for decades, it is not something new ( even when the market was booming ),
    it has nothing to do with soul less accountants controlling production ..
    The monochrome market has been slip slip sliding since 1970...
    Before then there were only yellow Kodak boxes in my local pharmacy needed to go two blocks more for Ilford from wedding shop!
    Then green boxes magically appeared.
    Some time later digital.
    Kodachrome was cancelled because everyone had gone to E6 or digital and the soul less...
    Plusx ditto lots of people I know used Plusx and complained to me answer 'Kodak do not make 120 film they make film in jumbo runway pitches all the other people that used it have gone digital I've nevery used it.'
    'No' one is using Trix I don't buy it unless the shops has nothing else the last ten expired I bought were the first since 1970... I use Double-X... it is cheaper
    Soul less accountants run large companies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Before then there were only yellow Kodak boxes in my local pharmacy needed to go two blocks more for Ilford from wedding shop!
    Some time later digital.
    Kodachrome was cancelled because everyone had gone to E6 or digital and the soul less...
    Plusx ditto lots of people I know used Plusx and complained to me answer 'Kodak do not make 120 film they make film in jumbo runway pitches all the other people that used it have gone digital I've nevery used it.'
    'No' one is using Trix I don't buy it unless the shops has nothing else the last ten expired I bought were the first since 1970... I use Double-X... it is cheaper
    I don't think it's accountants. An accountant just records financial events.
    What you're referring to is the finance department. Big difference.
    Ilford has said so themselves, however, that unless an investment yields enough Return on Investment (ROI), like the Cooltone developer, then it doesn't make sense for them to continue with it. It's as simple as that. If you don't make any money on your investment, then what should you do? Keep the investment anyway, and let it bleed money, just because people love it? That would constitute a disservice to all of the people that are employed by the company, so that there is cash to pay their salaries.

A business is foremost about economics.

Ilford is a bit more nimble, because I think it's privately owned. Kodak is publicly owned, so the pressure regarding profit is much higher on them, from a standpoint of how much of it they generate. Interestingly, Ilford has stated that their company is robustly profitable, while Kodak has been bleeding cash for a very long time.

Don't blame it on the accountants. Blame it on the people who make financial decisions on behalf of the shareholders.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Some time later digital.
    You're funny...

You only buy double-x on the cheap, and don't buy Tri-X and then wonder why films get discontinued and blame the soulless accountants when you're doing the same thing.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin