Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 837

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lest everyone forget, that is what happens in a free market. People make decisions based on their own selfish interests, and that includes price, as well as other things. And that includes those "soul less" accountants as well.

But I think that Tri-X seems to be holding its own as it is still around when other films are not, and not just Kodak films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The monochrome market has been slip slip sliding since 1970...
    Before then there were only yellow Kodak boxes in my local pharmacy needed to go two blocks more for Ilford from wedding shop!
    Then green boxes magically appeared.
    Some time later digital.
    Kodachrome was cancelled because everyone had gone to E6 or digital and the soul less...
    Plusx ditto lots of people I know used Plusx and complained to me answer 'Kodak do not make 120 film they make film in jumbo runway pitches all the other people that used it have gone digital I've nevery used it.'
    'No' one is using Trix I don't buy it unless the shops has nothing else the last ten expired I bought were the first since 1970... I use Double-X... it is cheaper
    Soul less accountants run large companies.
    I think I know how you chose your screen name
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grinch.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Say what you will, but I think the Tri-X really captured the moment here.

The moment at which my kids began to revolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Compared to one of the D3200 shots:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    If you can't make good photographs with one, you won't be able to with the other, and conversely if you CAN. They're not identical but they're both excellent and, frankly, the differences between them pale when considering what makes or breaks a photograph.
    Dang, I wish I said that. The quality of the product we produce starts with the composition, and from there the materials will only enhance it. If you look at a photo and only see the grain, or the murky shadows, or the blown out highlights, then the shot failed. Or, your a hardware geek and miss the point. The same issue exists in high end audio. If all you are hearing is the muddy bass or the distorted highs you're missing the music. Some really great photgraphs are technically challenged, just like some really good music was poorly recorded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    blah blah blah blah blah. film film film film whatever.
    Yup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Lest everyone forget, that is what happens in a free market. People make decisions based on their own selfish interests, and that includes price, as well as other things. And that includes those "soul less" accountants as well.

But I think that Tri-X seems to be holding its own as it is still around when other films are not, and not just Kodak films.
    Ah, the voice of reason. A lot of the world doesn't understand markets and the power of individual choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The monochrome market has been slip slip sliding since 1970...
    Before then there were only yellow Kodak boxes in my local pharmacy needed to go two blocks more for Ilford from wedding shop!
    Then green boxes magically appeared.
    Some time later digital.
    Kodachrome was cancelled because everyone had gone to E6 or digital and the soul less...
    Plusx ditto lots of people I know used Plusx and complained to me answer 'Kodak do not make 120 film they make film in jumbo runway pitches all the other people that used it have gone digital I've nevery used it.'
    'No' one is using Trix I don't buy it unless the shops has nothing else the last ten expired I bought were the first since 1970... I use Double-X... it is cheaper
    Soul less accountants run large companies.

so monochrome's decline was because of kodak's accountants ?
    and kodakchrome, and velox, and royal pan and VP and panatomic x, and old tmy(1) as well ?
    and lack of interest of the public to buy kodak's product ( like you buying double x instead of tri x ) ?

as i said before, kodak has been canceling films and papers since the beginning .. it isn't something new.

its the people who take photographs that cause the decline of film and paper and chemistry and b/w photography.
    if people aren't interested in it ( i don't mean 60K on a website devoted to it, i mean the movie industry and millions of people who are devotees )
    there is nothing that companies that manufacture the supplies can do about it

then again,i guess the accountants can cook the books, made up a bunch of lies so it seemed like everything
    sells like hot cakes, not sure what the point would be ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    so monochrome's decline was because of kodak's accountants ?
    Colour predominantly
    and kodakchrome
    E6 predominantly
    ( like you buying double x instead of tri x ) ?
    Double-X is Kodak but a lot cheaper than bulk Kodak and I shoot a lotta film.
    Think it was in 135 but withdrawn.
    Trix is not in the shops I frequent when I run out & I need to buy off the shelf, it has not been there neither was Plusx nor 3200, but BW400CN has been. Happy snappers who need local mini labs may have squeezed Trix? In effect colour c41.
    Market forces driving nails into Trix coffin.
    The cine people have gone to colour to so 5222 will soon go as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    not sure, color photography, has been around for 1839 in one form or another ...
    and making chromes since the turn of the 1900s

Colour predominantly

E6 predominantly

Double-X is Kodak but a lot cheaper than bulk Kodak and I shoot a lotta film.
    Think it was in 135 but withdrawn.
    Trix is not in the shops I frequent when I run out & I need to buy off the shelf, it has not been there neither was Plusx nor 3200, but BW400CN has been. Happy snappers who need local mini labs may have squeezed Trix? In effect colour c41.
    Market forces driving nails into Trix coffin.
    The cine people have gone to colour to so 5222 will soon go as well.
    i agree the supply chain has been kind of wonky for a long time, not sure how that is the accountants' fault too
    and kodak processing / mini labs leaving a gap in the consumer infrastructure, is the accountants' fault too ?

whether 5222 is made by kodak or not it isn't packaged and sold as a "normal" 135 format film
    and if people buy 5222 instead of boosting tri x ( or plus x ) sales ...
    IMHO they really can't complain that kodak stopped making tri x ( or plus x ) seeing they never bought it anyways.

but just the same, i see where you are coming from.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin