Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,237   Posts: 1,660,025   Online: 926

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1620212223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Local supplier here (the agfa labelling on the cooler needs updating):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beau-photofilmdeptpano.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Buying film off the shelf, how novel.

The only thing I can find locally is Fuji consumer 35mm C41, and have to look around even for that. I haven't bought a single roll of film that I didn't buy online and have delivered since I got back into photography in 2010.
    Our choices here are pretty much down to Fuji and Kodak consumer c-41.

If I make a trip to Reno I get quite a good selection at Gordon's.

But, well over 90% of my film purchases come from on-line sources.

Ah well, life in the digital age...memory cards everywhere, film not so much.
    Last edited by Pioneer; 12-14-2013 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is, I think, a camera store inside Atlanta proper that has film and even darkroom items. I tried to find it once and followed my GPS to the address I had for it and wound up in something like an industrial park, which looked deserted in the evenings, so I think I had the wrong address. I'm generally averse to driving ITP (Insite The Perimeter of I-285 for non-locals) anyway - narrow lanes, too much traffic, no parking etc. - but I'll do it on occasion. But as far as I've found no one up here in Gwinnett carries film to speak of, other than some consumer 35mm C-41.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    WOW Matt ... that's awesome... it's like dream land!!! My local lab (the only true camera store in CT now that even remotely stocks and sells film, has cut their shelf from the whole thing filled with reels and developer for the college kids, to just 4 squares in the shelf... and the haven't bought new film lately either, I can see it dwindling down... I kind of like the AGFA sign above the cooler, wish I could snag it!

As far as non-lab film places... I've noticed that the only places that stock any film are stop&shop (or Giant if you're in the south/west) and CVS/Walgreens, but there's only color fuji stuff at the stop and shops and kodak sells at CVS/Walgreens but ONLY the C-41 stuff ... the ONLY place that Tri-X is sold is in the "Ghetto" areas ... seriously, it's the only place you can get real B&W film ... there must be a small market of low income people who can't afford a digital camera and still buy real B&W film and send it away for processing or something, but it's only in the ghetto ... lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, Matt. If you've got all THAT available above the big fat white line, why do you even bother with Glazer's down here? Maybe I should be crossing in the other direction just for that darkroom supply section.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I only know of one location in Shanghai, a city of 24 million people that has film. So I have to stock up real well when I go there as it is many miles from my house. I sure miss the days of easy film access.
    I just checked B&H... you could buy this....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._100_Roll.html

and it costs $50 for 3-5 day shipping to china...

Yes that's a lot for shipping, but buy a few can's of it, or stock up with that and PanF+ or whatever else you use that comes in bulk, and have it shipped, get a years worth of film, it will cost you more than the travel to that city and probably cheaper than buying from there anyway. Just a suggestion.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Wow, Matt. If you've got all THAT available above the big fat white line, why do you even bother with Glazer's down here? Maybe I should be crossing in the other direction just for that darkroom supply section.

Ken
    Seriously it's like Nirvana... (and Ken would probably know about Nirvana... being near Seattle and all... hehe).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    WOW Matt ... that's awesome... it's like dream land!!! My local lab (the only true camera store in CT now that even remotely stocks and sells film, has cut their shelf from the whole thing filled with reels and developer for the college kids, to just 4 squares in the shelf... and the haven't bought new film lately either, I can see it dwindling down... I kind of like the AGFA sign above the cooler, wish I could snag it!

As far as non-lab film places...
    That shot I linked to is of Beau Photo. They aren't a lab, it's just that they've recently started taking in photofinishing orders for one of the pro-labs in town.

They are a professional photo supply retailer with a fairly large pro rental program.

They also service a lot of the educational institutions - including Emily Carr, which is an art college with a photography program.

They used to be one of the two major album suppliers to the pro wedding market. They still sell lots of that sort of stuff.

They bring in materials from Photographers' Formulary as well as some of the Freestyle house brand stuff.

It is often significantly more expensive to buy from them than to import stuff from the New York megastores, but that is because they pay a lot for their stock and they sell with a reasonable markup.

I have just one complaint - they aren't open weekends and the only evening they are open is Thursdays until 7 pm.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    Hi Ken:

Glazer's has more selection and, as it sources from US distributors, it can offer lower prices on quite a few things.

The photo linked to does a wonderfully artistic job of showing most of the analogue/film inventory at its best. There is actually another moderately sized section not shown, where they have their (predominantly Ilford) photographic paper.

But Beau is a really good source, with really good people.

I just wish they were open on weekends and more evenings, because their location is near downtown Vancouver, and I'm rarely their during business hours.

I've been trying to persuade them to advertise on APUG - I wonder if this will help?
    Matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That shot I linked to is of Beau Photo. They aren't a lab, it's just that they've recently started taking in photofinishing orders for one of the pro-labs in town.

They are a professional photo supply retailer with a fairly large pro rental program.

They also service a lot of the educational institutions - including Emily Carr, which is an art college with a photography program.

They used to be one of the two major album suppliers to the pro wedding market. They still sell lots of that sort of stuff.

They bring in materials from Photographers' Formulary as well as some of the Freestyle house brand stuff.

It is often significantly more expensive to buy from them than to import stuff from the New York megastores, but that is because they pay a lot for their stock and they sell with a reasonable markup.

I have just one complaint - they aren't open weekends and the only evening they are open is Thursdays until 7 pm.
    That's the same as my local photo store... they ARE a lab, but most of their actual money making is in selling new shiny digital cameras to unsuspecting soccer moms...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin