Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,450   Online: 1031

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17212223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Wow, Matt. If you've got all THAT available above the big fat white line, why do you even bother with Glazer's down here? Maybe I should be crossing in the other direction just for that darkroom supply section.

Ken
    Seriously it's like Nirvana... (and Ken would probably know about Nirvana... being near Seattle and all... hehe).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    WOW Matt ... that's awesome... it's like dream land!!! My local lab (the only true camera store in CT now that even remotely stocks and sells film, has cut their shelf from the whole thing filled with reels and developer for the college kids, to just 4 squares in the shelf... and the haven't bought new film lately either, I can see it dwindling down... I kind of like the AGFA sign above the cooler, wish I could snag it!

As far as non-lab film places...
    That shot I linked to is of Beau Photo. They aren't a lab, it's just that they've recently started taking in photofinishing orders for one of the pro-labs in town.

They are a professional photo supply retailer with a fairly large pro rental program.

They also service a lot of the educational institutions - including Emily Carr, which is an art college with a photography program.

They used to be one of the two major album suppliers to the pro wedding market. They still sell lots of that sort of stuff.

They bring in materials from Photographers' Formulary as well as some of the Freestyle house brand stuff.

It is often significantly more expensive to buy from them than to import stuff from the New York megastores, but that is because they pay a lot for their stock and they sell with a reasonable markup.

I have just one complaint - they aren't open weekends and the only evening they are open is Thursdays until 7 pm.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Wow, Matt. If you've got all THAT available above the big fat white line, why do you even bother with Glazer's down here? Maybe I should be crossing in the other direction just for that darkroom supply section.

Ken
    Hi Ken:

Glazer's has more selection and, as it sources from US distributors, it can offer lower prices on quite a few things.

The photo linked to does a wonderfully artistic job of showing most of the analogue/film inventory at its best. There is actually another moderately sized section not shown, where they have their (predominantly Ilford) photographic paper.

But Beau is a really good source, with really good people.

I just wish they were open on weekends and more evenings, because their location is near downtown Vancouver, and I'm rarely their during business hours.

I've been trying to persuade them to advertise on APUG - I wonder if this will help?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    That shot I linked to is of Beau Photo. They aren't a lab, it's just that they've recently started taking in photofinishing orders for one of the pro-labs in town.

They are a professional photo supply retailer with a fairly large pro rental program.

They also service a lot of the educational institutions - including Emily Carr, which is an art college with a photography program.

They used to be one of the two major album suppliers to the pro wedding market. They still sell lots of that sort of stuff.

They bring in materials from Photographers' Formulary as well as some of the Freestyle house brand stuff.

It is often significantly more expensive to buy from them than to import stuff from the New York megastores, but that is because they pay a lot for their stock and they sell with a reasonable markup.

I have just one complaint - they aren't open weekends and the only evening they are open is Thursdays until 7 pm.
    That's the same as my local photo store... they ARE a lab, but most of their actual money making is in selling new shiny digital cameras to unsuspecting soccer moms...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Local supplier here (the agfa labelling on the cooler needs updating):
    I haven't shelves that well stocked in ages. I've been buying everything online for years.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    I haven't shelves that well stocked in ages. I've been buying everything online for years.
    Just checked my local pharmacy and they still have HP5, XP2 & BW400CN on buy one get a second (cheaper) half price so I bought 2xHP5. They had lots of C41 colour as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeebus - I'm so jealous of you all. My local pharmacy offers a stunning selection of disposable cameras and memory cards in their still-demarcated "Film" area. And the photo dude said that they couldn't develop my ilford xp2, because it was black and white. Even though I explained that it was C41. So...yeah.

But on the plus side, I am surrounded by lovely mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd take the lovely surroundings any day. I can order film easily off the Internet, and have it delivered to my door in two days for less money than most places sell locally. Heck, the two days is probably quicker than I could find time to run by and buy it locally. But you can't just order up some lovely mountains via the Internet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'm not old enough, but I do not remember any non-C-41 B&W film at pharmacies here in the U.S. I do remember a wide variety of color film before digital, but anything B&W (other than C-41 b&w) seemed only to be at camera shops.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nah, probably just not old enough. I used to buy Tri-X and Plus-X at department stored and pharmacies in the 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin